How to feed coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Puffer Chick, Jan 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I just got a huge pack of silver sides to feed my corals. My question is, how exactly do you feed them? Also how small of slices do i cut the fish into? Also is all i do is just suck the pieces up into the turkey baster and squirt on top of the corals? Or do i have to wait until the feeding tenticles come out? I have a bubble and brain. I see my bubbles feeders out quite frequently and my brain rarely. Do i have to spot feed every tenticle or is it ok if only feed some? I only ask because my bubble has a ton of tenticles. and my brain only has 4. Also how do i know when to stop,is there a sign that im looking for when they say their full?

Sorry for so many questions im completly new to feeding corals

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Silversides(depending on which brand you got) are usually fairly big. You want to chop them up pretty good, you could even throw a few pieces in a blender and make a nice juicy nasty smelling concoction, lol!! Actually it's not a bad idea to blend a few pieces into a pasty solution, that way when you turn your vortech off to feed, it will stimulate the corals to open their feeding tenticles. Then just suck them into a baster, and gently squirt it on/around the corals. You gotta make sure to turn off the flow though, and let them eat everything they can catch. I don't think their is really a right or wrong amount to feed them, but maybe 2 or 3 times per week should be fine. I am glad you are looking into supplemental feedings for the brain, many people don't realize they do much better when well fed. Hope this helps some Puffer, good luck :)

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thanks for the tips, it was a huge package of San Fransico Bay silversides. The seem a fairly decent size although i dont know how big others are. i'll see if my parents will let me use an old blender. So the vortech feed mode would be to much movement for them? And if i turn it off completly will they for sure open up? i've noticed my bubbles come out randomly through out the day, and i've only seen my brain's come out once in the the week i've had it. I had tried the frozen mysis idea but it didnt work out to well because of the fish and inverts, so i'm hoping the silver sides will work.

5. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Sounds like like the fish and inverts get to it first before they can eat it, try putting a little bit of food on the opposite end and see if that occupies them while you try and feed the corals. If that doesn't work, maybe try it at night when they aren't so active.

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

feed the fish first then the coral... my fish would always steal the food I tried to give my coral... I would feed 1/4 size pieces.. I used wooden feeding tongs in my tank...

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea everything in my tank are pigs, i have to feed the fish tonight anyways so i think i'll try it. And also night time is at 10pm when its pitch black, and my corals close up right away i could try that though

my fish and inverts never seem full, dont know if that would work. I'll see if i can find the tongs, where did you get them lfs or grocery store?

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Actually at petco before it closed down....

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

feeding was pretty successful tonight. i just cut up two fish into small pieces i ended up finding some plastic tongs. I first started placing the food inside the bubble coral not knowing exactly how to do it, then the feeding tenticles came out and i held the tongs over them then they reached in and grabbed the food. I didnt feed the brain because the feeding tenticles didnt come out.

Kind of cool :D