Fragging Lobophyton and Sinularia

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Guest, Jan 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Someone was asking about this subject so I thought I would share how I frag these corals.

Lobophytons are fragged just like a sarcophyton (toadstool). Remove some of the head (in tank water but in a container outside of the tank). Cut off some of the head and place the cut onto rubble inside the fragging container. Both the parent and the cutting are gonna pull a wicked witch of the west trick on you......aaaaggghhh I'm melting!!! You must use SHARP scissors as these puppies are very tough. You want one clean cut and not a sawing action or multiple attempts to get through.

Don't worry about it---you didn't kill it. Let it make a mess in your fragging container for a few minute. Touch the wound of the frag to paper towels for a while until it starts to dry out. Put some super glue (I like the gel kind better than the liquid kind but both will work) on the rubble you're gonna use. Dip the rubble and glue gel in the water for one second to have the glue gel skim over then take it back out and and then press the (now dried) wounded area of the frag onto the skimmed over glue. Hold for 10 seconds and then drop it back into your fragging container for 4 or 5 minutes. Then put the mother colony and frag back into your tank where it will receive good flow. RUN CARBON IN YOUR TANK---THESE GUYS PUT ALL SORTS OF NASTIES INTO YOUR WATER WHEN FRAGGED.

Btw--mine won't usually reopen for a couple of days and then the will skin over and be good as new.

Sinularia are easy. Snip, blot on paper towel, glue, etc. The main difference is that this one is easy to cut. Also think ahead about what you want your frag to look like. I usually try to cut below a branch so I have 2 or 3 fingers on the frag. However, they put out toxins too and that's why you need to frag them in a separate container.

Don't frag sinularia's and Lobophytons on the same day. Both species are notorius for putting out toxins to kill whatever just tried to harm it. You must run carbon for both of these corals but you don't want to overload your carbon.

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Curt,
    Why are you a guest today?
    Thanks for the post as I was wondering how people used the gel glue.

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Inwall75 aka Curt:eek: forgot to login but posted fabulous information no matter which name he uses! ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

That's very strange I post a question on a Frag web site and I get the answers here at home. Sweet.
    Thanks Curt. So I did it right. Just my Leather looked as though I killed it but today it looks good.

Thanks Again
    J

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I was at my brother's house in Indiana. I couldn't remember my password so I posted as a guest.

You felt like the wicked witch of the West didn't you Jason? It is scary but they do normally do this. That's why I put that in my post.

Glad I could help.

1 person likes this.