ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Pajama Cardinal

Skin: Mint
BaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery
Default Feeding a Long Tentacle Plate

Any ideas or hints on feeding a LT Plate? I have tried pieces of mysis and raw shrimp, on the end of a feeding spear, directly feeding with hand(dont like putting my hand in the tank too often), syringe, and the Kent Feeding Prong. Not having too much success.
BaxterS80 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Giant Squid

Skin: Dark
coral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond reputecoral reefer has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 
3link 
gallery

Try offering brine shrimp with a turkey baster or syringe!
coral reefer is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Pajama Cardinal

BaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond reputeBaxterS80 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

Hey Tom, Thanks...I have tried that as well, keeping the Cleaner and Coral Banded shrimp away is a task in itself. LOL
Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Fire Goby

Brandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond repute

3link 
gallery

I used to feed mine thawed out pieces of silversides. I would put them on the plate and let the coral take over from there.
Brandon1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Pajama Cardinal

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

Hey Brandon, Thanks...i just picked up some silversides last night. Tried that his morning, enter the CB and Cleaner shrimps once again..LOL. I am going to keep at it....
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
Fire Goby

Brandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon1023 has a reputation beyond repute

3link 
gallery

Oh yea when I feed my Sun Coral it's the same business. The fish go and peck the food right off of it. It makes me mad but what do you do, ya know? They're wild animals and are just acting on instinct. You could try covering the plate with some kind of plastic bowl. Also try and get the silversides as close to the plate's mouth as possible so it can maybe have a better chance at getting it eaten before the fish have their way. One more thing is you could feed the fish immediately after you put the silverside down there to try and keep them distracted. The problem is the plates are so SLOW in eating.
Brandon1023 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Pajama Cardinal

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

Hey, thanks again, Brandon. Yeah, i use a cup over my orange Tubastrea, especially when feeding cyclop-eeze. I take an unused plastic cup with a whole cut out of the bottom and then with my Kent Feeding prong begin feeding. I have thought about that with the LT Plate but it is so large, about 9" in diameter. I am not sure what to use.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
3reef Moderator

Skin: Classic
amcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond reputeamcarrig has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Cut a 2 liter pop bottle in half and use the top half
amcarrig is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 10-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Pajama Cardinal

3reefer 
3link 
gallery

Thank you...I am not sure that it will be big enough...I will, however, give it a try...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
Aiptasia Anemone

PierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond reputePierceEye has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

So I finally tried the 2 liter soda bottle. So tonight after 2 weeks of trying to feed it with out my peperment or cleaner shrimp stealing the pc of krill, out came the soda bottle. So I cut the bottom off and took my Kent pinchers and got the plate to take it...I then placed the bottle over the plate and then screwed the cap back on...took the plate about 50 minutes it put it in his mouth and close its mouth. I said ok i am safe and removed the bottle....but I was like I am going to watch the plate for a bit as there was still maybe a 1/4" of the mouth still open....low and behold the damn cleaner popped out went straight over to the plate took his pinchers spread the mouth open and took the pc of krill right out of him!
I caught it fast enough and placed the bottle over it again. I then took another pc of krill and gave it to the cleaner shrimp so as to occupy it and take its mind off the plate...he ate the krill in minutes and now is hanging out by the bottle over the plate and is looking like just let me get to that baby! So I am now on 2hrs and the plates mouth is still slightly open.....the pc of krill I gave it maybe was a 1/4 of an inch and they just are very slow eaters......

Do you think 2 or 3hrs with the bottle over the plate will harm it?
PierceEye is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!