COTM May-'09 Clavularia/clove/glove polyps

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by missionsix, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Clove polyps (clavularia sp.)
    [​IMG]
    Soft Coral
    Phylum: Cnidaria
    Class: Anthozoa
    Sub-class: Octocorallia
    Order: Alcyonacea
    Family: Clavulariidae
    Genus: Clavularia
    Common names: Clove polyps, Glove polyps, Mat polyps, Star polyps, Eight Tentacle polyps,
    Origin: Indo Pacific
    Temperament: It is said that they are semi-aggressive due mainly to the way in which it spreads. Picture feather caulerpa and its root system. It is this trait that may cause this coral to encroach on a coral that may not take to its liking. I have noticed considerable encroachment on a zoa colony that is neighboring my clove polyp colony. It hasn't caused any damage, but, these corals can co-exist.
    Water quality: As with all reef tanks the following are recommended parameters. They tend to be resilient to "less than" desirable conditions. Keep in mind that Living and thriving are 2 completely different things.
    Reef parameters and recommended/desired levels.
    Salinity/specific gravity-1.025ppm or 35ppt
    temp.-78-82
    PH-8.1-8.3
    Ammonia/NH3-0
    Nitrite/NO2-0
    Nitrate/NO3-0
    Phosphate/PO4-0
    Magnesium/Mg-1400-1500ppm
    Alk/dKH/KH-7-14.
    Calcium/Ca-380-500ppm

Hardiness: These things are pretty resilient. I would recommend them as a great beginner coral.
    Flow: Low to moderate flow. I do have random colonies in my tank that are subjected to low and very high current. It doesn't seem to be much of an issue. These corals are also used to turbulent waters where they originate from.
    Foods/feeding: These corals are photosynthetic and rely on zooxanthellae/photosynthesis for a main source of food. They will accept small meaty feedings. Current also aids/affects the foods/feedings this coral may also benefit from if target feeding is not practiced.
    Lighting requirements: These corals require moderate lighting. They will grow towards lighting and will do very well in brightly lit tanks. I would imagine tha they can easily be kept under power compact lighting.
    Frag difficulty: Easy.... This coral can be fragged by cutting it's "root system" where desired. Simply glue to frag plug or other l/r in your aquarium. Rubble can also be placed near existing colonies for a more patient approach. These corals re-produce by budding and leave a long "snail trail" behind them sprouting new polyps.
    Personal observations: Nothing to exciting to add. I have always liked the look of these polyps over the (harder to keep) pipe organs. They come in a variety of fluoresced colors and more.
    Thanks for reading.
    Pics. Please share your pictures and experiences on this thread and you may get a boatload of karma.......
    (Notice the budding on the "root system")
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

Here is a shot of my colony of clove polyps I think it is a really hardy coral and I would put it up there with green star polyps in terms of ease of care I wish I would have added them sooner because of the way they spread and make the rock look like one big living thing instead of a bunch of stuff just stuck on a pile of rocks. I also included a half tank shot. Don't forget my Karma mission!

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  4. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

very easy nice looking coral, grows quickly as well, like gsp they will do fine with pc lighting

5. shipbear

shipbear Bubble Tip Anemone

I love any coral that grows good, And mine grow REALLY well.. LOL
    I'm going to let them cover all the liverock on the left side of my tank.. I have a cave thru it, And I think it'll really look natural.. No pictures, But can really make a tank look good.. And speaking of polyps .. My Yellows are really starting to spread.. beautiful.. And they love mysis shrimp.. I think it's called..
    All the others get what my filterfeeders get.. even if not needed..
    I feed everything..

Thanks for the write up Missionsix And all the help you've given me.... ( and K )

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  6. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

here are a few of mine
    [​IMG]
    green with orange tips to the right
    [​IMG]