COTM - Mar '08 - Sarcophyton sp.

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by omard, Mar 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

The COTM thread has been sadly neglected for some time...

Here is attempt to get it going again.

Picked the Sarcophyton as there have been a couple posts about them last month.

Can turn into real tank monsters...but a great "showpiece" if in right place and type...

Growing fast and blocking light from other corals is biggest problem I find with them. But easily trimmed back when pruning necessary.

Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral

(Sarcophyton sp.)​

[​IMG]

(Liveaquaria.com)​

a.k.a.: Sarcophyton Coral, Mushroom, Leather, or Trough Corals.

Care Level: Easy

Lighting Requirements: Moderate to High

Water Flow: Moderate

Range: Red Sea, Indo-Pacific

Family: Alcyoniidae

Water Conditions: 74-80° F; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12

Appearance: They are found in various shades of brown, tan or green, with white or gold polyps. It is difficult to identify many species because they all have the similar appearance of a mushroom or toadstool, each with a distinct stalk and capitulum (cap). As they grow older, they develop a folded appearance.
    The brown Sarcophyton Leather Corals from Indonesia and Tonga are easy to maintain in the reef aquarium and make an excellent coral for the beginning through expert reef aquarist. Toadstool Mushroom Leather Corals require medium to high lighting combined with medium to strong water movement. For continued good health, they will also require the addition of iodine, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.

Aggressiveness: They are quite aggressive and should not be placed near other corals. Esp. Zoanthids. Will release toxins into water if cut or injured in tank. Always remove from tank if fragging or pruning.

Propagation: Fragging is easy by cutting off a portion of the Coral's crown and attaching that piece to live rock or placing it in the sandy bottom of the reef aquarium.

Notes: Smaller specimens are shaped like a mushroom, however as they grow larger they will take on an interesting folded appearance. When fully open the tops of these leather corals are covered with numerous polyps about 1 cm in length. As with most leather corals they may go through periods when their polyps do not extend. They may shrink and shed some of their outer skin. Do not be alarmed if this should occur it is a natural process that they go through. These leathers may remain closed for several weeks at a time, but will reopen bigger and more beautiful than ever. They require moderate water currents and moderate to high reef lighting for proper health. Additions of iodine will help to expedite their growth.

They can grow fast doubling in size every 6 to 9 months and quickly overtake tank, shading other corals.

[​IMG]

The large one on the left side of tank is from frag of earlier one chopped out couple of years ago. It is already shading a number of corals that have been relocated in main tank or moved to Nano.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of other varieties inhabiting tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While they look pretty much the same, they are actually distinctly different animals. Growth rate, coloring, shape and fineness of "mouths" are not the same on any.

Great Beginner/New Tank Coral!!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Lotsa possibilities.

Small ones should be relatively cheap at LFS...make sure to buy small save yourself some $ as these guys will grow on their own swiftly.

So easy to frag likely some reefer near you will have some "trimmings" about.

Get one! (or two, or three...;))

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
    2 people like this.
  5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Very nice review! Thanks Scott!
    This is my sleeping beauty :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Awesome info... Thanks omard...

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I always wanted one. Maybe I can get one now to replace my recent death of my torch. I love rebounding.;D Thanks for the good idea Scott. karma

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Well, ill ask around! but being in a small mud and clay built village im gonna have to search! lol! Thats what i was thinking. my birthday is coming up and my lfs does have some nice frag tanks......

10. paintball7

paintball7 Feather Duster

arent they also called toadstools??

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Toadstool Mushroom Leather Coral
    (Sarcophyton sp.)

a.k.a.: Sarcophyton Coral, Mushroom, Leather, or Trough Corals.

;)

12. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Good choice. Looks like a very nice piece of livestock.