P's clam is really unhappy

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Peredhil, Jan 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've had my crocea for over a year now. It's been really pretty.

When I first got it, it went through some color transitions. Ended up being no big deal. I dipped it with FW and all that, so I am pretty confident it's not a problem with pyramid snails or whatever they're called...

Thread on that: http://www.3reef.com/forums/clams/what-wrong-ps-clam-81659.html

As of January 10 (yesterday) my T5s are officially running for 9 months. Besides it being on my calendar, I also know this bc I am getting a small algae outbreak and these have been linked over the years :)

So that is my suspicion on what the clam is not happy about. What do you think?

(I have already ordered new bulbs from Tangster and I'm waiting for them to come in).

A few days ago it started to barely come out and as of this morning, it's looking like this:

[​IMG]

Ouch. That's not good!

I'm out of Ca, Phosphates, and Nitrates test kits. These have already been ordered as well. Hoping they come in today actually... but thinking might not have shipped yet (haven't got a tracking number). I suspect Nitrates/Phosphates are 0 and that Ca and Mg are higher than they should be...

Further, the clam hasn't had its foot connected for as long as I can remember. But today, it *kind of* seems to be sticking a foot out? Not sure what to make of this protrusion.

[​IMG]

Thoughts?

I did take the shield off the lights and cleaned that (it had a lot of salt on it) to help get more light in - no affect I can tell though.

Help me save my clam please!

P

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Live stock

No crabs. (Can't seem to survive a molt ever!)

lots of snails.

2 clowns

1 bicolor blenny

1 black/white stripe damsel

1 purple pseudochromi (mean little devil and I hate him, but he is very pretty)

I don't have any reason to suspect any of these.

Temp has gotten low here recently and I'm researching a new heater. (by low, I mean 74 at night)

That's all I can think of that's out of the ordinary.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

m thinking its the lights but ihave no experience with clams so im not 100% sure

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have never had any ill affects when my bulbs needed to be changed. I think something else is going on. If the bulbs were the issue, I would think it would be stretching for the sky.

The first photo is what my derasa looked like just before it died for no reason. It even started to grow chutes, which is not a characteristic of derasas. It was not a maxima or squamosa. A few weeks after the chutes appeared, the clam died.

6. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I believe it is getting harassed. I was going to say that the temp would play a role but I am leaning towards harassment. Have you target fed it?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Unless you have looked at night for the pyramids snails I would not rule them out.

I do not think the bulbs are so old that they would have that effect.

Other than that my first thought would be parameters.

Lastly pinched mantel disease.

Good Luck

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

mine looks similar to yours though mine is a maxima. Subscribed :-(

10. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

Doesn't look good.... mine looked like that after my emperor angel got to it... and it died over three days or so...

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is not good, my clam pulled in like that just before dying. Hope yours pulls through. If it is not attached, pick it up and look underneath for pyram snails or any other pests.

12. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

It's not the lights.... that's not what you would see with inapproprite lights.