New Clam QUESTION

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Reefer Madness, Jan 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail

Hey guys, i just got a new clam two days ago from the pet store. When i saw the clam in the pet store he was fully opened up looking nice. But now he opens up but doesnt spread like i seen in the pet store. I also noticed these little ants type things on my sand and some where crawling on and around the clam i was wondering if this might be a problem. I dont know the name of the clam but it is purple with blue lines.
    my lights are the Jebo Odyssea 36' 305 WATTS. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

how many gallons is you tank, how long have you had it up, what else do you have in it? what are you supp levels? thanks :)

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Humm, I'm thinking maxima clam? Did you acclimate the clam to light and/or your water? It might be scared from the move, give it a couple of days.

The ant like things might be amphipods/copepods, maybe mysid shrimp, really nothing to worry about. If they bug you, a scooter blenny will take care of the problem, but I dont recommend getting a fish to rid of something you hate.

5. Reefer Madness

i have a 45 gal tank and have had it running for about 6 to 8 months and i have two clown fish, a starfish, clouple of corals,slugs and snails. I did acclimate to the water very slowly but no one never told me to acclimate it to the light.

I have moved the clam to a rock but it pushes himself off looks like he shoots water out the back end for some reason.. Where would the clam be better off on the reef or the sand??

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What kind of starfish and sea slug have you got?

7. Reefer Madness

Dont know the name of the starfish but it is gray and moves like an octopus graps food with his arm and brings it to his mouth moves pretty fast. 4 lettce sea slugs and around 8 turbo snails..

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Place a flat piece of live rock or a shell under the clam's foot if you're going to keep it on the sandbed. This will give it a secure place to set its foot and also prevent predation from worms and such in the sandbed. It will also make it easier to move the clam if need be.

10. Reefer Madness

so once i get the clam in the right spot how long should it take for it to fully open up. :confused:

11. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well...it really depends...for my deresa, i had him on the bottom for about a month and he opened up a little, then when he was used to the tank i moved him up way to the top...and how hes open like crazy :) i would guess it wont take more than a few days to at least open

Good luck :)

12. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

took my clam about 10 days to fully open and stop changing color. you might need to do like bruce and move it toward the top of the tank.