New Idea!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Zectra, Jun 20, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

[​IMG]

I was looking on the lines of this, without the tank on the back... I want to make it a really nice bryiopsis farm, that way I can make some money selling it to my LFS. I also heard that I can just scrape the sludge off of the bottom of it and sell it as coral food also!

My grandma told me that in the 60's, she used Epsom salts and Borax 20 Mule Team to give it a kick start... Is this a good idea???

;D;D

Give me karma if you think it's a sweet deal!

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

looks pretty cool but could you explain more??

4. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

Well see. I will be out one toilet if I make the bowl the actual tank... Sooo. Not sure if it would be worth it.

I might get me one of those old clawfoot bathtubs from the 30's and 40's and grow some LHA in that instead. I have no idea how many gallons that is!!

Gosh reefing is fun!!

2 people like this.
  5. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

well it looks like you need to contact *Tangster* or some one , as I still refuse to use these method's based on my research/readings of said methods.

And what the the heck is the crapper used for ? > to flush it all when it crashes ? ( joke lol )

I havint a clue here... lol but it does look like a cool set up.. where the corals go, in the sink ? or the crapper ?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    2 people like this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The only thing that 60's and 70's method does, is to create an under water chea-pet. I have LHA after using this method for 4 weeks. I shouldnt have used this method. Luna

4 people like this.
  7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

about 30 gallons but it depends on the size of the tub

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

I don't know, It's pretty big! I was thinking I might be able to like, sit back in the tank and play with my fishies, I don't like to leave my fish alone, they get lonely so i thought i might incorporate the tub so I can spend a little time with them.

2 people like this.
  10. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...

2 people like this.
  11. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have only been envolved in reefing for about a year, therefor I am NOT an expert or a GURU, nor do I claim to be either of them, now with that being said, I have done a LITTLE research on the Borax and Baking soda method, and one thing I found realitvily quick is that since these are not food items, their complete ingreadints list is not reaquired for sale.

One of the ingrediants in baking soda is aluminum silicate to make free flowing, I know aluminum aint good for a reef. I think I am gonna stick with my dkh buffer and additives made for the tank, not the fridge.

P.S. Luna I looked a little on the internet and found that some people who tried this had an awful GHA outbreak. Sorry man that sux, you had an awsome tank, just go back to doing what was working for you.

3 people like this.
  12. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Like i said.."it works" from what i gather , but useing this borax/baking soda method seems to indicate what you are running into there *Luna* .

I had actually "considered" this method and it doe's infact work , I won't argue that point.

BUT, it seems to produce more problems than it's worth , such as producing some type of food source to kick start a hair algae problem in the tanks that this method is used in.

( From a LARGE amount of reading and seemingly people having issues both here on this site and other sites/threads and from researchers such as PHD"S and professors with extensive research in the reef hobby field. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.