Towel Fell In Tank, Soap Bubbles in Skimmer

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by stoppay, Apr 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stoppay

stoppay Astrea Snail

I have a 55 gallon reef tank with 4 clown fish and a fair amount of coral (frogspawn, some polyps and a few other easy mode species).

When I came home from work I noticed odd bubbles in my skimmer. It appears that while I was out work a bath towel fell into the tank.

As soon as I noticed I took the bath towel out and did a 25% water change (I do them on monday nights so I was due anyways). There aren't any bubbles coming out of the skimmer but should I do another water change or three? Is everything going to die?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

Don't panic and overdo anything. Are you running carbon? if so how old is it you'll prob want to change it out either way. Are you noticing a reaction from any of your critters?

1 person likes this.
  4. stoppay

stoppay Astrea Snail

No carbon...

The fish are swimming around normally and all the polyps are open... The frog spawn isn't all bubbly, but usually it takes a while for that to be all happy

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

If your skimmer has calmed down...You are ok. The skimmer will definately foam if there is any left..I have had this happen before.

1 person likes this.
  6. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

In the near future you'll probably want to add carbon either in a reactor or a bag in the sump for just such an occasion. Carbon helps remove chemical impurities from your tank. Id say if everything looks fine then everything is fine. Your skimmer will react to the slightest of anything. Next time you put your hands in the tank look at your skimmer it will act differently.

7. PackerFan12

PackerFan12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Itll be fine the soap may kill some of the good bacteria in the tank but it wont wipe out ur stuff. Youll be ok.

8. Click Here!

9. sae647

sae647 Plankton

best thing you can do is add some carbon and keep on skimming. water changes would help but are probably not necessary.