Pink Birdsnest

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by adam, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

First what kind of algae is this on the birdsnest? How can I prevent it from forming? It is under my koralia 1 by about 6 inches down and to the right of it. 1.025, 8.0 - 8.4 ph, 8-9 alk, 440-460 calcium. Lighting is 2 150 watt MH for 10.5 hours a day, temp is 79-80. I first posted this under Corals but this is the better place for it. Im posting a few pics couple taken at night. Anybody else have this same algae on a birdsnest? Should I have a Koralia 2 above it? Could it have too much flow?
    ADam

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

looks like it is dying, I would try more flow, different spot, something.

4. dansreef

dansreef Astrea Snail

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you have hair algae growing in your tank? Try feeding your fish every other day for a while and cut back your light cycle to 8 hours.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Typically SPS will grow fast enough to avoid algal growth over taking it but let's say a small part of tissue receds it will be taken over with algae. I would, like stated check water params and then if it seems to spread break the affected piece of right below the algae. Some people go as far as then "cauterizing" the area w/ superglue or other cynoaccrelate.

Good luck