Dead fish:(

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by leichr0220, Jul 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Well it appears my jap swallowtail angel has passed for some unknown reason, anyways...she is in the rock scape where it is almost impossible to get to her without removing a bunch of rock and coral. The fish was 4-5 inches, is it worth removing all of these things or will my cleanup crew, bristle worms, cleaner shrimp...ect take care of the unfortunate death?
    I have a 185dt 30gal refuge and 52gal sump, running carbon, skimmer, and micron bag---thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss:( But I wouldnt worry about it, pretty sure if your tank is mature, the cuc will make quick work of it, especially if ya have any hermits or starfish.

Edit; assuming you have a decent cuc

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Its alot of water volume, and if you have a good CuC it might be ok. I got alot of nutrients from when my flasher died inside a rock that led to a little mini crash so make sure to keep up on water changes! (My system is a 125dt with ~22 gallons of sump and fuge)

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

That's a good sized fish I'd try to get it out, regardless of tank size.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

What's your ammonia at now and how long has it been dead?

7. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

It has been dead maybe a day, I noticed the "injury" on sunday. I have not tested anything yet, sorry to be a newer person for the abbreviations what is CuC?

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would just observe your ammonia over the next few days. If it begins to elevate, then I would remove it. You might have enough water volume to where you ammonia may never spike, especially if you have a strong bacterial base. I would check it ASAP though.

CUC= Clean Up Crew (snails, crabs, worms, stars etc.)

10. leichr0220

leichr0220 Astrea Snail

Just found the list, clean up crew...was non existent...stole about 6 hermits from a "hospital tank" and two from the refuge. I do have a good deal of brittle worms one is probably as wide as my pinky.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ingtar has a good point, maybe get a WC ready just in case. And a WC is water change, little hint, hold your cursor of any abbreviation on here and it will show you what it stands for;

CUC

If your levels start to elevate or you dont have a good CUC, I'd get it out, or do a big WC;)

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

He might take a stab at the fish. I had one eat a damsel, clown and a cleaner shrimp (they were already dead/were motionless and dying).