cyano

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by saltlifegio, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltlifegio

saltlifegio Astrea Snail

plz help ive been fighting this junk for a month it only showes up on a certin area

on my sand i top of with ro water then i got my ro at another place and still

nothing i do my water change on the first when i do it im gonna do 7% instead

of 5%. soo plz help i do have a skimmer its stressful:(:(:(:(:(:(

tried uploading from camera but no luck cant figure it out

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hi, and Welcome. :)

First, RO filtration alone doesn't remove nitrate, phosphate, or many other contaminants from your water. You should be using RO/DI water.

If your live rock and skimmer are your only filtration, you might want to increase your water changes to 10% twice per month, at least until you get the cyano under control. You also might want to add carbon and GFO to your sump if you don't already have it.

If you're feeding frozen foods, you should strain and rinse after thawing- the preservatives are a good source of nitrate and phosphate.

You can decrease your daylight schedule for a few days and increase flow where you have cyano. That will also help to kill it.

Hope this helps. :)

4. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

As mr.Bill said this worked for me after just three days.

E

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

GFO and GAC. Probably more than the recommended amount at that and change out frequently. Probably at least weekly for the GAC and biweekly for the GFO. Also, weekly water changes and use them to siphon the remaining cyano. It will go away, but you may to use a lot of GAC and GFO and change a lot of water.

6. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

gfo - and slow down on feeding :)
    Overfeeding is the #1 reason for cyto to pop's it's heads up again. Good luck also adding a few hermits will help

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I always cringe when I hear this, especially when I see so many skinny fish and corals in tanks with "alga" issues. I'd prefer to word it as: feeding too much at once is the 1# reason for nuisance "algae" issues. IME you can feed 2-3x more, if you break up the feedings and feed more often. The key is that no uneaten food is left to settle into the rocks and substrate for any significant amount of time. So, smaller feedings, more flow, better filtration, better CUC can all help too. Cyanobacteria can feed on this decaying organic material, whereas algae can not.

However, that said, cyano is not a typically a high nutrient problem and does not tend to be the dominant, nuisance "algae" in high nutrient tanks. It tends to be more common in low nutrient tanks as it has some competitive advantages over algae, which requires higher nutrient levels. Out of all my tanks though, I have one small frag tank, where I am planning to propagate a BTA. I only feed the BTA once every few weeks, and it is the only tank I have with cyano (and dinos) at the moment. My other tanks are fed quite a lot, even my 6g Fluval edge. That's really the norm, not the exception, at least for cyano.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. saltlifegio

saltlifegio Astrea Snail

well thanks everyone for ur input. i have sum hermits ,and my filtration has carbon

i have reduced the amount of feeding only 2 a week lets see ill keep u updated ok ty

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

:eek: Are you serious, you are only feeding 2x per week? This is why I hate when people bring up this feeding BS. You tank needs to eat, period. Feeding infrequently will make your tank less stable and prone to algae problems, as there will be more fluctuations with regards to bacteria and benthic organisms.... Feeding insufficiently and starving your tank will definietly cause cyano. Overfeeding can also cause, if you do not filter out the decaying organics and allow them to settle. So, the issue isn't so much overfeeding (at least to a point), although overfeeding, with insufficient filtration can play a role.

What kind of livestock do you have? What kind of protein skimmer? How much flow? How much GFO are you using? How much GAC? etc...

1 person likes this.
  11. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Definitely I'd rather feed very small portions more frequently. In my 29g I fed everyday. My fish were healthy so they fount disease well (never had diseases) and everything just worked better. Feeding so sparingly hurts more than it helps.

It would be more beneficial to boost flow than to feed less!

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+2 You NEED to feed enough to keep everything healthy, whether it 2, 3 or 5 times per day and take the other aforementioned measures to combat cyano. At 2 feedings per week, you're simply starving your pets.