Coral Banded Shrimp Vs. Other Shrimp

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Turboporche, Feb 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Turboporche

Turboporche Plankton

Hi, I'm new here, I used to have a 40 gallon Agressive Aquarium an then went off to college, and left my mother in charge of my tank while I was away. She eventually stopped feeding my fish cause of the agression of the Lionfish as well as the eel I had(she got scared to feed them and clean the tank after this heh). So I had recently restarted my tank doing a reef set up.

After the first week, I had decided to have 5 Damsels, a Decorator Arror Crab,some little red crab(for looks), a cleaner shrimp, a fire shrimp, and a Coral Banded shrimp. I had purchased all the would "Get along" with little to no agression towars one anouther.

This afternoon after I got done with work I noticed that literally the coral Banded shrimp with the Cleaner shrimp in its mouth eating it, and has been sort of nipping/trying to grab my Damsels now.

I was wandering if I should be worried about the Coral Banded Shrimp eating other shrimps, crabs, snails or even my corals that I now have in there(Including 3 Emerald Crabs now)?

The Coral Banded Shrimp is a little on the bigger side as well about 2.5 or even 3 inches long now. Should I be worried it might it anouther cleaner shrimp if I rebuy it, Fire Shrimp,emerald Crabs, Decorator Arrow Crab, Strawberry Crab, Damsels, Yellow Goby(Small 1 inch), Snails, or even my coral.

2. Click Here!

3. white-rasta

white-rasta Bristle Worm

the coral banded shrimp is only reef safe, it will eat again! and damsels arent very nice fish! they are agressive and territorial
    good luk

4. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Ya, we had the same problem ourselves. Our coral banded killed our high fin goby. He cut it in half and sat there eating it while we watched. He had the fish in two pieces. One half in each claw. He ate it like a someone would smoke cigars double handed. I would not put another coral banded in our reef if someone payed me. I DO NOT CONSIDER THEM REEF SAFE.

5. Turboporche

Turboporche Plankton

Recomend taking the CBS(Coral Banded Shrimp) Back to the store? They assured me that all the current fish/shrimp/crabs would get along. Figured I may try to get a refund for the CBS as well as the one cleaner shrimp he ate. I am hoping to try to cover the damage that he caused as wella s Future damage he may do.

6. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I def reccomend a return. I would be interested to hear if you get a refund on the "snack."
    It is a mixed bag when it comes to your LFS employees. Some are educated you can take them at their word, others are in it for the big sale. Our LFS employee has told us a hundred times that tangs of any kinds are NOT reef safe. So for years we avoided them. We found a wonderfully trustworthy guy at another fish store that sold us a hippo tang and a yellow lemon peel mimic tang, and we are happy as can be. I hope my opinion has helped.
    OH, and on a side note, if you are interested in getting a new addition to your tank, just start a thread. You can tell us what you have, what you want, and you will know what you are getting in to. Best of luck. Let me know about that refund;)