Bubble coral in Trouble?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by GuitarMan89, Jul 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I've had my bubble for only about a week and now it looks as if one half of it isn't opening up. The half closed in the pics still does open some what, but not as much as the side currently opened. It was opened fully before. These pics are with only actinic lighting towards night time. There are some long filament looking things also hanging off the closed end. Maybe sweeper tentacles, mucus? Any suggestion, comments, ideas greatly appreciated. I hope nothing too bad, it's my favorite coral. BTW, this is the only coral not fully opening as of now. params are as follows...

temp- 77F
    ph- 8.3
    ammonia- oppm
    nitrite- oppm
    nitrate- 0ppm
    phosphate- 0ppm
    ca- 420ppm
    Mg- 1250ppm
    dKH- 9
    Salinity- 1.026

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Your parameters look ok. You mention the coral is a week old. For how many days has it been half closed?

Do you run carbon? Phosphate media? How do your other corals look?

Hopefully it will correct itself.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's been closed like this only for today. That half has been not as opened as the other half though for several days. I am running carbon, no phosphate media. My other corals are doing great, look normal and growing. I have just changed bulbs, maybe an answer? Also, I found some nudibranches in my tank, removed one, but saw another today. I believe they are the algae eating type, only seen them on the glass and lr eating algae. But may be not, could they be eating/harming my bubble?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Is it being hit to hard by a jet of water maybe ? The Ca and DKH levels as well as the salinity look a little off from where I'd keep them at.

6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

where would you keep those levels? and that part has very low flow. i have been reading up and maybe it is a bacterial infection? Maybe injured on the way from lfs to tank. There are those long filament looking things hanging off of it sometimes

7. Boredm

Boredm Spaghetti Worm

the filaments are waste. Mine expels waste pretty regularly, along with all of it's water mass. Then it takes up new water and looks fantastic in a day or so. It's possible yours is just expelling all of it's old LFS water and slowly taking in a fresh supply from it's new home.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The filament's may just be the sweeper tentacles or early signs of brown jelly disease ? You can try a iodine dip . Could be some bacterial infection in and on it ? I see some darker looking brown stuff on the corals skeleton on a few spots it looks like to me. Photo's are a tad blue to really say what the coloration is .

The Salinity is a bit high I think ? I like to keep mine around 1.24 or so and the DKH around 12 and the Ca around 450 and mag at 1400.

I Just had a 2nd though do you have a urchin in the tank ? I have seen them poke and damage these types corals

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

no urchin, but brown jelly was a thought, maybe it was injured in transit from lfs to my tank. I will see what it looks like today when the lights come on. Then I will decide what do do. I think i may try a iodine dip, is there any specific product or will an iodine additive work? Thanks for the input

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I just use lugols iodine at 60 drops to the gallon for about 15 to 20 minuets

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks, will see how things go, then maybe try it