blue devil damsel equal mistake

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DendroGuru, Apr 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

so i've just got a 6g nano cube, and i'm real exsited about it. I was scared of buying an expensive fish so i got a couple of damsels. the bigger one kept picking on the small one. so i did a little research and found out that because there are only 2 of them and that they are in such a small tank, that they are not a good match for me. I was wondering what I should do with them. I got them at petco and was wondering if they will trade them for another fish for me?
    right now i put the bigger in the fuge so he doesn't keep picking of the smaller one.
    please let me know your thoughts on what i should do. I want to get a fire shrimp and a clown for the tank, and I think a bicolor blenny or a tiny goby. Is this going to be too crowded? or do you think I could find a match of fish that will live peacefully together?

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Petco will not take the fish back.. You will need to try another LFS and see if he will give you a little store credit. 6gallon is not a lot so you are going to be very limited. I personally do not like just having 1 clown(perc,ocellaris) as they look and act best in pairs. If you were to go with 1 clown I would point you towards a Maroon..these can get large up to 6". So Maroon, 1 firefish, 1 small goby, (yellow watchman, neon clown), bicolor blenny, and your fire shrimp should make a great pairing of fish.. If you choose to go with the Maroon add that last.

Anyways sounds like you are on the right track of getting the damsels out.

4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

i would not recommend a maroon clownfish for a tank your size.. it will most likely end up bullying any other fish that is in the tank as it is very territorial.. none of the fish you listed should really be in a 6G.. maybe you can get away with a small ocellaris taht you will eventually have to trade in.. also a yellow goby.. not much more tho..

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I wouldn't recommend any fish in a 6g honestly, just my two cents. But if you had to get one, maybe a scooter blenny, or a small ocellaris, something along those lines.

1 person likes this.
  6. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

you think i could have a pair of perc, ocellaris clowns?

7. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

i might just get the smallest clown i can find and a watchmen goby. i think that they would be able to live in peace and i would imagine that to be roomy for them. i think i will also get a anemone for the clown. i don't think it would be a problem to house a fireshrimp as well. i just have to find out who will take my damsel. i'm just glad i paid less then $10 for em.

any other feed back would be great!

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Unfortunately I just did a quick calculation on your tank and I guess I should back track on my answer sorry. I looked at some dimensions of a 6gallon 12x8x12 and it is saying 1.25 inches of fish is capacity. Definitely not a pair of clowns. I was just trying to give you an idea of a clown that is ok by itself in my opinion.Would have to be small and will out grow tank. As m_hsiao pointed out the maroon can get territorial which is why I said to add it last.

Packleader opinion is solid in that 6gl is very small and you are extremely limited.

So back off on the Maroon. I guess you could get the 1 Oscellaris but again I don't think they have as much character when alone and you would not be able to keep it at maturity.

The yellow watchman grows to about 2 inches min tank size suggested 10GL, the clown goby depending on type is about 1.2 to 2 inches fully grown min tank size suggested 10GL. Firefish about 3" fully grown min tank size suggested 10GL. Oscellaris 3" when fully grown min tank size suggested 20GL. The fire shrimp max is about 3" min tank size suggested 30GL

Depending on you filtration I still think you could get away with a yellow watchman, or clown goby, a firefish, small Ocellaris

Sorry for getting hopes up, should have ran calculation before posting.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

In a six gallon tank I would only have one very small fish. Perhaps a little clown goby, give him some corals to play in. Are there any stores aside from Petco for you to shop at?

11. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

dendro how do you have negitive karma? i have never seen that befor

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

I have never seen that before either. Gave him what I could so we can try to get that changed around... He should get some positive Karma for asking question before he went and bought other fish...