Brightwell Aquatics Katalyst - Bioreactive Filtration Media for Nitrate and Phosphate

Discussion in 'AquaCave' started by AquaCave, Sep 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AquaCave

AquaCave 3reef Sponsor

[​IMG]
    Brightwell Aquatics Katalyst - Bioreactive Filtration Media for Nitrate and Phosphate Control in all Aquaria.

Bioactive filtration media, providing an ideal colonization substrate and a suitable source of organic carbon to beneficial microbes responsible for uptake of nitrate and phosphate.

Helps decrease latent organic material, and hence nitrate and phosphate concentrations, in aquaria, greatly simplifying and improving nutrient control relative to methods based solely upon using vodka or other alcohol/sugar solutions as organic carbon sources.

May be used with MicroBacter7 and/or as part of a low-nutrient approach to aquarium husbandry.

Improves water clarity through re-mineralization of latent dissolved organic compounds present in system.

Safe for use in all freshwater and marine aquarium, including planted and reef systems.

Made in the USA. Sold by mass, not volume; 1 g = ~1.6 ml of competing media.

Technical Background:
    In all aquaria, it is prudent to establish a stable nutrient budget in which the rate of nutrient export is not greatly exceeded by the rate of nutrient input, and vice versa; in the proper physical and chemical conditions, the former imbalance leads to increased presence of nuisance organisms such as filamentous algae and cyanobacteria, whereas the latter leads to malnourished aquarium inhabitants. The nutrients of greatest concern to most aquarists are nitrate and phosphate, both of which require active removal and/or re mineralization in aquatic habitats to ensure that they do not exceed concentrations that are deemed as safe for the ornamental organisms inhabiting those systems, or that would otherwise impact the appearance of the system, itself. KATALYST provides a static surface for colonization by beneficial microbes, while at the same time providing them with a source of organic carbon, which is required for the uptake of nitrogen and phosphorus compounds (including nitrate and phosphate, respectively).

In this fashion, KATALYST improves nutrient-uptake efficiency relative to systems employing only live rock, live sand, and/or inert plastic material as a substrate for microbial colonization. The colonization of KATALYST with the appropriate types of nutrient-remineralizing microorganisms, such as those found in MICROBACTER7, serves to deplete existing concentrations of dissolved organic material from the aquarium. Instructions and Guidelines: KATALYST should be housed in a media reactor, canister filter, or fluidized-bed reactor with a means of controlling water flow through the media bed, and with a pre-filter in place to restrict particulate material from entering the reaction vessel. Moderate water flow will discourage the accumulation of latent organic material in the media bed, itself, and will improve overall results.

Dissolved oxygen concentration and/or pH in the aquarium may temporarily decrease when new media is added; ensure that adequate aeration of water is employed at all times when using KATALYST, and monitor and adjust pH as necessary.
    In marine aquaria, maintain operation of protein skimmer at all times to ensure that adequate degassing and oxygenation of water is taking place. Systems with [NO3-] and/or [PO43-]

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Looking forward to using this. Saving up for my reactor as we speak.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Is this another biopellet product or media(like zeolite) one?

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

How can i say yessssssiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrr nicely........Ummm a yesssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrr.

6. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

so, basically this product will replace phosban media, as well as activated carbon and remove the need to run two separate reactors?

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

This seems similar if not identical to EcoBak as well. No, it will not replace active carbon. At least based on my research and what I understand thus far.

Active Carbon is fundamentally a chemical filtration means to trap various organics, metals, etc. and get them out of the water column. Here are my notes.

The carbon they reference in these products is NOT carbon filtration. It is more analogous to carbon dosing such as vodka dosing. Thus, the bacteria that colonize and utilize these pellets will metabolize nitrates. I have not yet learned how the pellets deal with phosphates. GFO binds phosphates again in a chemical reaction.

I am experimenting with EcoBak as a replacement for GFO right now. We shall see.

Mark

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

From what I read and told that the nitrates and phosphates pretty much are absorbed by the pellets and the pellets slowly decrease thus you have to refill the reactors almost but no more than every six months. Also how is your experiment coming along?

10. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I thought the pellet dissolved because the fed bacteria which was in turn picked up by the skimmer. The use of these products increases skimmate.

Experiment seems to be going quite well. Just need to give it a few months.

M

11. cdmorrison01

cdmorrison01 Astrea Snail

12. AquaCave

AquaCave 3reef Sponsor

Sostoudt,

It is a bio-pellet.