Pink Birdsnest

Discussion in 'Algae' started by adam, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

First what kind of algae is this on the birdsnest? How can I prevent it from forming? It is under my koralia 1 by about 6 inches down and to the right of it. 1.025, 8.0 - 8.4 ph, 8-9 alk, 440-460 calcium. Lighting is 2 150 watt MH for 10.5 hours a day, temp is 79-80. I first posted this under Corals but this is the better place for it. Im posting a few pics couple taken at night. Anybody else have this same algae on a birdsnest? Should I have a Koralia 2 above it?
    ADam

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

In that first pick it looks like you have cyno, how long have you had the tank set up? The algae your askng about also looks like diatoms that is around early when cycling tanks.

4. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

maybe lowering the temp could help!?!

5. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

im pretty sure algae wont grow on healthy coral tissue, algae on the skeleton is the first sign that a coral has bleached and tissue has receded, algae quickly grows on the exposed skeleton. and from the looks of it it bleached from tips inward,

where is it placed in your tank? how far under the lights?

6. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

how old are your lamps? or what K rating our you running? the Manhattanreefs.com there is a guy who has been studing M/H for years. very educational study. worth looking into. some claim they are 10,000 K but studys find they are not. just a thought. good luck. keep on reefing

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hello Adam, unfortunately as blue said, algae can't grow on live tissue. After I read your post I had to go to my "trusted" LFS and so I asked the owner and he reaffirmed that if it has Green algae all over (as your pics show) it is dead. Now, there is a remote possibility there is some good tissue deep inside so he said your last try would be to aim the Koralia 1 right at it real close for a few days to see if some algae will come off and who knows?