id this algea (pics)

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Newreef15, Sep 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

i moved the sand around and it grew back in 24 hours and it looks like this. what can i do to get rid of it plz help
    water [​IMG]parameters are perfect

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

4. UltimateWarrior

UltimateWarrior Spaghetti Worm

Looks like cyano to me. It's not an algae, but you can see more info about it here.

5. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Diatoms maybe even red slime algae try getting more water movement to not let the algae settle.

6. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Well from last picture I could say it's dinoflagellets(if I spelled that right).

7. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

sorry, but I think triggerfish is right. :(

8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

I looked at the info sheet and trigger is right so how do I get ride of it help help help

10. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

manually remove it aggressively and stay on it. Reduce the import of nutrients, (via food or non RO/DI WCs), and increase export of nutrients. Some people say they had mild success with tinkering with alkalinity...eh...I wouldn't want you to suffer losses (and be mad at me) if there is a problem so I will leave it at that. Iron is said to be effective, but it can be difficult to accomplish since each water changes brings in fresh iron.

First though I would try to rule out cyano. There are a lot of cyano species that look very much the same, and it would be worth a shot. Ceriths eat all the brown cyano I have bumped into, I would start there first and see what kind of results you get. Try to pick one up locally, and just place him on the troubled areas. See if he eats it, if so jump for joy and do a cart wheel. I know a guy who had a TOTM on a different hobbyist forum and now his tank has been covered in "dinos", (I use quotation marks because I have never seen anything outside of the hobby labeling it as dinos, but there are some good sources on it, one of the Sprung, Calfo, Fenner etc... guys had an article on it, will see if I can find it - talked about alk. and iron limitation - not sure of the author.)

11. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

reduce the nutrients by placing macro algae in your sump or running a phosphate absorbing media pad. Don't overfeed you fish OR coral. If you use frozen food screen out the frozen water and just use the food left in the screen.

12. Newreef15

i put some phosphate remover in my tank how long before it starts to disapear