dark red algae ?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by smitty65, May 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smitty65

smitty65 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a dark red something on my LR. I tried to take pictures but they wouldn't come out bright enough to see. ( cheap camera :( ) I can't blow it off with a turkey baster or rub it off. It is soft but not like the usual cyano which I have had before. That I could blow off into the water column. Is this cyano or something totally different?

On a side note...I have sponges of all shapes and sizes in my tank. Purple conical, neon green encrusting, white that resembles a tree, a rose colored encrusting and a bright yellow encrusting. Is this normal to have so many different types of sponges in one tank?

BTW...they are not bothering anything and are quite beautiful. The white and rose sponges are on my pistol shrimp rock. I probably couldn't get them off if I wanted to. My lil' pistol is one ornery bugger when you get too close to his cave.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

A pic would be best, but sounds like red coraline. Luna

4. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

i have the same type of red algae u have. Ive had it a few times on different pieces of live rock and its hard to the touch, ive watched it for months and grows slow like coraline.
    I would think luna is rite and its red coraline. im not sweatin over it

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

If cyno...definitly don't want to "blow off in water column..."

Is likely why you may be getting reoccurance.

Just about all newer tanks get some cyno cycles till everything clicks in and biofilter under complete control.

Suck up what you can with siphon hose. Increase amount and frequency of water changes and up flow if you can to algae areas.

It will pass.

;)

6. smitty65

omard,
    The tank is 2+ years old. This stuff isn't like the cyano I have had in the past. I had some in this tank once and it was easy to get out and had bubbles. That stuff was loose and could be syphoned. This stuff is not hard to the touch, rather soft and spongy. I couldn't rub it off nor syphon. I could probably scrape it off with my fingers nails. I searched on the net for different types of cyano but found nothing that really matches what this stuff is. I wish I could get a darn picture that showed it but all the ones I take are blurry or dark or both.

7. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Try using a flash light instead of the tank lights and dont take the pic right infront of it, take it from an angle instaed. Luna

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Possibly red turf algae?

10. smitty65

[​IMG]

I don't know if this will work but here is a picture of the rock that has the most on it.
    It is more of a deep red than the purple it looks in the picture.

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

If it has a soft texture and looks kinda fluffy, I'd guess red turf algae(macro). If that is what it is, it can be a nuisance. I've had it in my tank for a while and haven't had a problem. I think it looks cool.