Brown Algae Diatoms

Discussion in 'Algae' started by el_sillo, Jan 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

hi guys i had a quick question, my tank is a few days into the nitrogen cycle and my rocks and substrate are being covered by this brownish algae, is this normal? should i do something about it like a water change or add snails? also the water is not clear anymore i believe its because of this algae bloom.

i tested for ammonia and my level is 2.0

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

it is normal to have this and will likely to go away in a few weeks. some will reappear here and there but its not going to be many. green algae may also appear as well in your tank. cyano will appear but not always. scrape those that is growing in the glass and let your protein skimmer remove whatever dislodge in the water. change some water and put the snails after the nitogen cycle is finish.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Negative, shouldnt do a WC until you have finished with your cycle. You should also keep the lights off for now. Luna

5. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

so i should keep my lights OFF through out this nitrogen cycle? they have been ON these past days on a timer from 9 to 9. what should i do keep them like that or turn them OFF? the thing is i already have two damsels for the cycle

6. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

lights off. you can turn them on every few days for a bit to feed the damsels, but keeping them off will help with the algae through the cycle.

7. el_sillo

el_sillo Spaghetti Worm

ok i just turned them OFF i will only turn them ON to feed the damsels.

8. Click Here!

9. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

you don't really need the light on unless the tank is located on the basement or in an area where there is no light. since you have already fish in there, you should check your parameter and do necessary water change if needed. also if plan to go into reef, t6 light is not the best light to use for corals.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Theres no need to have the lights on, it serves no purpose. It wont help in the cycling process. It will however, help with algae growth. You dont even need the lights on to feed the fish. Fish are not blind, you can feed them in the dark if you wanted. In fact, right before I feed my fish, I tap my ring on the blk rim of the tank. When they hear that sound, they come to the surface to feed. Try reading through this web site, it will educate you with this hobby. www.saltwater101.com Luna

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

If you perform a WC while in the cycling period, you will only prolong the cycle. My advice to you is DONT DO ANY WC's WHILE YOUR CYCLING. But thats just my advice. Luna

12. chinita

chinita Astrea Snail

i thought it will prolonged the cycle if fish is added while the cycle is not yet done. but changing some water while the cycle is yet done in my experience was not a problem, maybe if you change a lot of it then that's totally a different story even in a cycle tank is not advisable. i would like to know the theory in regards to this one though.