A Kessil A150W LED Close Up

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, May 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is a close up of the new Kessil A150W LED spotlight that will be available again in mid to late June for an MSRP of $275. The 1st batch sold out! Kessil got their start in horticulture lighting, but unlike others before them, Kessil is bringing over a rather advanced LED spotlight repurposed for aquariums. The A150W (is not 150 watts, rather equivalent, wide angle) houses a 30 watt DEX 2100 multi-chip LED that appears similar to Ecoxotic's Cannon lamps. These are powerful, penetrating LEDs.

[​IMG]
    Kessil A150W LED prototype rebadged as the H150W - Ocean Blue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Kessil A150W LED will be available in a range of Kelvin temps from 6700k to 20k. (see attached PDFs) At BAYMAC, the Kessil on display had a very impressive spectrum with a very nice white/blue blend. I believe I was looking at the 20k (edit 15k - wow! - nice 15k) as there was a lot of blue (see pic). [STRIKE](Actually I was looking at the H150W - Ocean Blue - their grow light version! - nice as is)[/STRIKE] Confusion from the labeling - this is an A150W prototype that has a H150W label - the Aquarium 'A' version had UV and white unlike the grow light version. When the Kessil rep put the 10k over the tank, it was predictably whiter. Actually what was more impressive to me was the spread. The wide-angle lens filled the cube tank shown without any noticable dark spots from about 10" from the water. Kessil says the A150W LED aquarium lamp has a coverage range of 12" - 24" .

I've been partial to cube tanks for a while and I think a single Kessil A150W with the optional goose-neck mount would be a great lamp for a Mr. Aqua 18x18x18 25 gallon or even deeper tanks with the multi-chip penetration.

Cool stuff from Kessil! Look forward to seeing more from them soon.

matt

More:
    Kessil Lighting- The Spectral Revolution

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

Thanks for posting this, i too have been very intrested in the products and have to say speaking to their reps has been a real pleasure these people seem to know what their doing, and i'm excited to see what they come out with. I love how compact the design is, no more bulky lighting.

And as a side note about penetration, i think on their site they link to some youtube videos of some very big and very deep tanks and the lighting looks great even in those tanks. :) Oh and also worth noting, since heating is a concern for alot of people, this light shuts off automaticaly if it gets "too" hot to prevent any sort of mishap which i think is a really nifty feature, although i was told by the rep they've never had one auto shut off on them, they dont run too hot because of the unique heat sink design.

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Very interesting light...along with your info too, Tadpole1mill.

2 or 3 over a standard 75g?

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looks like 2 based on the coverage range from Kessil

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Tadpole - good point on the ventilation and shutoff - that is definitely worth noting. I had been checking out the design in the PDF.
    Their reps are great and - thanks to them - there will be a big part 2 to this story in the near future.

matt

7. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

That is an interesting question, it would be cool to see the fish stores in the video maybe use them over different tanks to show the difference. (saw the one store had just about every size tank) I just thought it was odd that the one had a 92 bow with 3 fixtures while the other had the cube (idk, 18 or 24 inches wide, cant tell) yet he was using 2 fixtures. Is the 92 bow lacking or is the cube over powered? It will be cool to see these evolve will stay tuned to see if there are any guinea pigs out there who can show us how great they really are from a customer stand point. (most honest feedback available)

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I really like what I'm seeing from the Kessil. They have been movers and shakers in the horticulture side for a while now. It's great to see them venturing into aquatics.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sweet, do they make fishy sunglasses though 8)?

11. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

those look pretty cool and sexy

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Indeed!
    Correction - the 'Ocean Blue' pictured is actually 15k and not 20k as I thought after re-reading the PDF. The 20k version is the 'Deep Ocean Blue.'

My pic of the aquarium came out darker than it was in person. That said, giving it some thought - I am really impressed with the 15k. It was really nice. I would definitely get that one.

matt