Flipper Algae Scraper Review: It's all in the flip

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The Flipper is the latest in algae scrapers notable for the stainless steel blade designed to make coralline removal faster than your morning shave. In this regard, the Flipper delivers. Coralline algae doesn't have a chance. The thickest deposit in my tank was removed in less than 3 seconds with the Flipper. Most of my effort was spent merely wielding the mighty Flipper with its strong magnet and large size. For the results, the Flipper was worth the effort. Details below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Flipper comes complete with an attached stainless steel blade and a serrated plastic blade for acrylic aquariums.

MASTERING THE FLIP

Excited, I just went for it and placed the Flipper in my aquarium without reading the instructions. How hard can it be? It's a magnetic algae scraper. Well I found out. It's pretty hard to master the 'flip.'

First I noted the magnet is really strong on the Flipper. Perhaps a big too strong. I doubt you can do a cleaning frenzy quick fighting the resistance. Although I can see this being a good thing when you a coralline encrusted aquarium. The magnet may be needed for such work and may help keep the blade close to the edge.

That said, my first 'flip' caused the flipper to swim away from me. Hmmm. I suppose I should read those instructions after all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watching the Flipper swim away, I took a few seconds to read the instructions. They say to pull the handle a few inches away from the glass and rotate it 180 degrees and place it to the right of the scraper a few inches. Ok. Weird, but I gave it a go. And it worked flawlessly.

The 'flip' still proved to be awkward on a few other attempts but I started to get it. There is definitely a learning curve with the flip. You will need room in your aquarium to flip as well. I found this out when I was too close to some of my live rock and watched the Flipper squirm. Also going around corners was a challenge although I eventually started doing it without thinking about it.

Flipper - Algae Destroyer

Ego restored, I went to work. This beast was designed to destroy all kinds of algae and destroy it did. It did it in such short order than I realized I had spent more time flipping than cleaning.

The abrasive pad handled the green stuff quickly and then I started to seek out the coralline and found a nice patch near one of my pumps as shown below.

Bringing the Flipper up with the blade edge, I gave it a few strokes. I blinked. I looked and the coralline algae was completely removed as far as I could go. What was the that? Maybe 3 seconds max? I was impressed. No nasty sounds, no scratches on the glass, just silent assassination of coralline.

[​IMG]

I quickly took care of the rest of the corralline. This was too easy. A major reef aquarium headache no longer. Nice.

It didn't take long to find another bonus with the Flipper as I was bringing it back to the surface. With my rimless cube tank, there has always been this white kalk like build-up at the water line that took away from the look of the tank. Well I accidentally hit that line with the Flipper and it came right off. My eyes got large and I quickly took all of it off my whole tank in seconds. Score another one for the Flipper.

The Flipper is a bit like an old muscle car as it doesn't handle as well as some other smaller scrapers but it will burn them all in a quarter mile or when sheer horsepower is needed. For the tough jobs, you will want the Flipper hands down.

I'd love to see a 'nano' version down the road. This initial version seems large in my 30 gallon. A smaller version would also most likely address many of my quibbles with handling the 'flip.' That said, the Flipper makes corralline algae woes a thing of the past. And that is worth is worth flipping out about.

The Flipper is available the end of this month for just $19.99.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/3reef-radar/new-flipper-cleaner-does-all-128179.html

Flipper Cleaner | Flipper Cleaner. The best aquarium cleaner on the market.

FCC Disclosure:
    I received a Flipper free of charge from the manufacturer. My review is an honest one and was not asked for, but this must be disclosed per FCC.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Great review, Matt! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Many of your pictures appear to have broken links.

Edit: pictures are showing up now.

4. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

Cool looking scraper

5. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I can't wait to get my hands on one. Thanks for the review.

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

3reef giveaway time!

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

How do you think this will be with the bend in the Biocube glass?

8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

when it comes out ill buy it with the platic blade and i will see how it goes lol

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Wonderful review! Well written as well. Hopefully they come out with a smaller version soon :)

1 person likes this.
  11. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

+1 on the nano version

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the heads up Matt, they're available now on their site, just ordered one!