CPR AquaFuge PS Refugium

Discussion in '3reef Radar' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

CPR's AquaFuge PS Refugium is one of many hang-on-the-back refugiums out on the market now. The PS comes with a Bak-Pak 2R protein skimmer and an interesting water return from the refugium that prevents substrate disturbance.
    <br />
    [​IMG]
    AquaFuge PS Refugium

Specifications:

*Includes: Modified Back Pack Protein Skimmer and Powerhead for Protein Skimmer.
    *Water Capacity: 4.5 Gallons
    *Dimensions: 23-1/2" L x 3-3/4" W x 14-5/8" H
    NOTE: Picture shows optional light fixture and accessories.

Deluxe package Includes:

* AquaFuge™ PS2 Large
    * Light Fixture 16", 24W
    * Light Fixture Stand

More info:
    AQUA-FUGE PS2 REFUGIUM Large by CPR Aquatic - AquaCave

Do you use a HOB refugium?
    Please vote here.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

nice but pricy and dont you think that a refugium will get all nasty and not look as clean as that one.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Yeah, I thought about it too, but too rich for my tank blood. You know what they say, " if you have to ask, you cant afford it "

5. somuchpaint

somuchpaint Plankton

I was looking into these, but I can't understand the benefit to having a skimmer attached to a hang-on-back refugium. If the skimmer comes before the refugium, aren't you losing nutrients that would feed the macroalgae? If the skimmer comes after the refugium, aren't you killing off all the copepods that would have snuck a ride back into your tank?

If I am misunderstanding, please let me know. :confused:

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I totally agree with that. Especially about the skimmer coming first. The latter is a bit more debatable as a return pump can kill pods too. However, if you have a refugium above your tank that has a gravity return, then you have it covered. Welcome to 3reef!

7. somuchpaint

somuchpaint Plankton

Thank you!

I am definitely considering getting the medium one without the skimmer for a 14 gallon (10 gallon footprint) that I setting up in my mind and on paper. I like the idea of natural filtration, using alternating illumination to stabilize the pH, and growing natural food for the fish.

I do wonder if the weight would pull over the little aquarium, though.