Thanks For Feedback - Site Revision In Progress

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

After some sleep and fresh eyes, it became apparent that many elements of the new 3reef design do not work.

I obviously had devoted more of my time to new features and site mechanics - many things you can't see - than visual intregration.

SO...
    [STRIKE]
    1) New header is being tossed out the window.[/STRIKE] New headers rolled out on (12/30) hope you like them!
    [STRIKE]I have begun to refer to it as the 'blue shoe' on top of the box.
    It is also too stacked and vertical requiring more scrolling.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]The new one will have the logo on the top left of the screen and the banner to the right of it with a links bar with search below that. It will be seamless and make the whole site work better. [/STRIKE]Some of you expressed the same thoughts here and I am going with it. So thanks for your feedback.

2) Recent threads display [STRIKE]is getting a makeover.[/STRIKE] I just put up a new version (12/27) - use 'shift' key and refresh to load new styles.

I was overzealous in my removal of old code there at the expense of readability. Last night I came up with a solution that will bring many elements back that you are used to seeing there with row color backgrounds and a clean look.

3) Right Nav bar will get background colors and borders to make the links easier on the eyes with different skins.

And a whole lot of polish will be made to skins overall.

Priorities:
    1) [STRIKE]Recent Threads makeover [/STRIKE] DONE (12/27) - use 'shift' key and refresh to load new styles.

[STRIKE]2) Header[/STRIKE] DONE (12/30) - use 'shift' key and refresh to load new styles if you don't see a background behind the logo.
    3) Nav and Skins

I am proud of the new functionality, but I know I fumbled on the look and feel. I will fix this.

All of this will be done in the very near future. I seriously want to thank you for your continued feedback - nothing like thousand of beta-testers! :) - and for your patience.

matt

--

Please continue to report bugs here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/3reef-forum-news-information/new-site-bug-thread-78976.html

And check this board for updates and announcements:
    3reef Forum News & Information - 3reef Forums

If you have not taken the tour of the new features you can do that here:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/3reef-forum-news-information/welcome-new-3reef-com-78970.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Thank goodness! :)

Merry Christmas! Stop working and have yourself some cold alcoholic beverages :D

4. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Maintaining a good solid website is no easy task. The fact that you welcome feedback and are already "refining it" based on the feedback shows some serious dedication and caring that the site is as user-friendly as possible.

Nice job. and I have to agree with ZachB's suggestion - although a nice hot beverage "embellished a bit" to taste also works!

(i am looking at winter weather outside my windows while surfing 3reef & sipping a hot beverage)

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Matt I think you have done a great job. As previously stated I wasnt really a fan the first time I logged on to the new site but the more I use it the better it gets. I am liking it more everytime I log on. Take a holiday break and enjoy it with your family.

Merry Christmas

6. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

No worries Matt, thats kinda how I am with my tanks. I started my 120g show, stopped and opted for a 90g frag before the 120g. I have a mish-mash of rock, sand, pumps, salt, jugs, RO/DI filters, buckets, etc. all over my little 9X9 living room. I just go sleep at my Moms and forget about it.

Thanks for all you do for the coolest Reef site on the Web!!!

Merry Christmas!!!! :xmas:

7. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

Matt you're a boss

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Thank you Matt for all you consideration. You are an amazing site owner, And glad to see opinions taken into consideration. In the long run this site is an amazing creation and the most helpful tool I have found while venturing into the hobby. I would not be here or probably running a tank for the matter with out it. My setup was a PITA and everything failed till I found this site. (Not finding correct info online and such things)

Thanks again! (Happy Holidays as well)

Eric.

1 person likes this.
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks all. I appreciate the support.

I JUST REDID THE RECENT THREADS ON THE HOMEPAGE IN ALL SKINS. (12/27) - use 'shift' reload to load new styles.

--->>>> Recent threads now has all the original elements you were used to seeing there and I tried to make it very easy to read.<<<<-------

I hope you like it.

I will move on to the new header very soon and then the right nav after that. I may finish up the homepage in classic skin soon as well.

I'll keep on truckin'.

matt

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You're doing a wonderful job and putting in a lot of hard work. We thank you for this great place!!

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks man. I thank you for coming here.
    I am just trying to finish what I started around here lately. ;) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.