Would nylon help stop microbubbles?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

lol i'll take pictures of the area aroud my tank to see if you think i could put a sump somewhere.

hmmm i should try that gsp idea lol it would be kind of cool to have a coral randomly up in the top of the tank. I would just have to move my powerhead to another place

2. Click Here!

3. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so this is the area that i have to work with, can any size of tank fit in the stand i will have to take down the shelf

[​IMG]

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

What are the dimensions?

You could also get some sort of cabinet and sit next to the current tank and place the sump inside the cabinet, you could then place other "stuff" on the cabinet as decoration. I had the same issue with my 30 gallon, it had no real stand. I did put a 20 long next to the table it was on though and it worked great.

5. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'm not sure of the dimensions i'll measure it in a little bit. how wide are the 20 long tanks, i probably have enough room length wise to sit in front of the tank which is on the wall right underneath my window, but i don't have much room width wise because i would need to have space to walk between my bed and the sump

6. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

12.5" wide, 30" long. Probably fit great where the water jugs are :) Look for cabinets, probably pick one of those up for cheap so you won't see it.

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'm going to have to measure the area not sure if i have the space for a 20l, maybe a 20 tall though. But i'll measure to see if possible

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

My 20 tall fits everything I have great :) Including a small basket where I keep a ball of chaeto.

Again it's not necessary, but I wouldn't own a tank without one. Convenience and more options are great. The additional water volume will help with parameters, hide equipment, and allow you to put a bubble trap in so no bubbles in tank :)

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

so where the door is in the stand the dimesions are about 14 width by 25 tall andi measured my 20 tall width wize souldnt be an issue and would barely have enough lenth wise

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I used a big thick sock and rubber banded it to the output of the skimmer. Did a good job at filtering the water too.

I had the same problem as you so I went on craigslist and purchased a stand and 29 gallon tank will all sorts of goodies for $50 and placed it next to the tank. I then drilled a hole on the side to put the return and intake tubing. After that I went to lowes and purchased "pre-stained" particle board that matched the color of the stand. Doing this gave me enough space to place my HOB skimmer, UV, and plumbing all out of the way and made life overall easier.

Normal operation:
    [​IMG]

Front door to easily check level and a little calander with to do's
    [​IMG]

Hinged top that latches open to allow easy maintenance and access to powerstrips
    [​IMG]

Plumbing making life easier
    [​IMG]

better view of intake and and return tubing.
    [​IMG]

It all holds up well to three ferrets so I am sure it will work fine for people with less destructive pets lol

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009