Would nylon help stop microbubbles?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 31, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

I have the octo bh 800s skimmer. And my out take tube is causing bubbles to come into my tank. It's not horribly bad unless i'm feeding it goes insane. So i've been wondering of i stuck nylon over the tube, like knee highs would this do anything to help stop the bubbles from coming into the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. mrstihl

mrstihl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm pretty sure someone on here knows the answer that can help both you and me, but the skimmer sub forum must not be where they hang out. :-/

4. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    no it probably wont really help much, can you lessen the amount of bubbles to help lower the water level in the skimmer?

5. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

Time to hit the LFS and get a small filter sock. Hopefully yours carries the small ones as mine always has the big ones but never the small lol.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i'll try that idea, does it just simply slip over the tube? And is there a specific brand to look for

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i can attempt to do that but not really sure how to do it

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hahaha yea the skimmer forum isin't a very popular place to be, i guess that's because most people have sumps and don't really have any issues with their skimmers because of that. I know the bubbles arent bad but if there is a way to stop them i would like to know, especially because when i feed the skimmer goes insane and just shoots out a million microbubbles

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I put nylons (knee highs like you mentioned) over the outlet of my bullet skimmer. It helped some with bubbles, but caused a problem with skimmer performance. It seemed to back up the flow more than what it could handle so keep that in mind. Maybe get one of those circular foam pieces to put over the outlet but again going into your tank that may not help much.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

yea the skimmer came with a big ol bright blue bubble stopper and i thought about putting it on the tube, but then at the same time i don't want to have this big ol blue thing sticking out like a sore thumb lol unless i can grow xenia or gsp on it to try to help hide the uglyness

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

You need a sump chica. Your world would open up :D Your stand may not support one but if you put it next to the tank and hide with a cool room divider or something that could help.

But yes, that would help with the bubbles and you could probably grow gsp on it.