Would a Reef Octopus Nano Work on a 29 Biocube

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Katie Grant, Aug 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

Hi just wondering if you guys think a Reef Octopus Nano Hang On Skimmer Oct NS-80 - Up to 25 Gallons, would work on my Oceanic Biocube 29 , because of the 4 gallon difference?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It should be fine.Most people don't even run skimmers on nanos. Just don't overstock the tank, do your water changes and you should be alright. Good luck and take some pics.;D

4. Katie Grant

I like the extra comfort of having one lol. Do you think it would be too much? If i had the skimmer should i be doing weekly changes or every other week? sorry for all the questions!! Never had a biocube before!;D

5. saltlifegio

saltlifegio Astrea Snail

i have one on my nano it just helps cant do any harm lol

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am not sure a Tunze 9002 will fit in a bio-cube, I know they fit in a JBJ. They are the best nano skimmers out there, a little pricey but well worth it and very easy to resell because they are such great skimmers.

For what it's worth I too believe that nanos do not really need skimmers unless you are over stocking. I do not run one currently and have not for over a year, just water changes.

Member grinder knows of a really good nano skimmer as well but I can not remember the name, it's in the JBJ thread.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Katie did you already purchase the skimmer? If not I would definitely take Coraillines advice.Shes the nano queen here at 3Reef.;D;D8)
    Water changes once a week would be best. 5 gallons should be sufficient.We love questions.Ask away!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Katie Grant

Have not boughten one yet, was looking into getting one, but im not planning on over stocking it, so perhaps i will be good with just water changes. Do you suggest weekly or every other?

10. Vinnyboombatz

I edited after you quoted.lol Every week would be best.5 gallons should do it.;D Like Corailline said as long as you don't overstock the tank you should be fine.You can always add one later if needed.