Wood airstone skimmer not all bad

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by saltwatereefguy, Aug 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltwatereefguy

saltwatereefguy Plankton

Hey I have a 90 gallon and I have a Amiracle protein skimmer her is a pic I have the lagrest of all three models and that is 22"tall and its rate at 135 gallon tank. I use a whisper 40 air pump air limewood airstone this apparatus is cut backed on air from the pump to the air stone. In about four day I get a half cup of thick gunk. My trick is the skimmers collection cup is cleaned once a week and reaction chamber is wiped down thouroughly once a month which inhances the skimmers output greatly. If you are going to go with the cheaper line of skimmers or limewood airstone skimmers then go witha counter current one its three times a powerful as a co current read up on my blog to lear what counter and co current skimmers mean.;D
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

+1 on air driven skimmers for me

Ive used the Red Sea Berlin, and the Aquamedic Midi flotor and both these are air driven skimmers and I found them to produce reasonably good quantities of skimmate

the limewood airstones needed replacing every 6 weeks I found, as they get clogged or start to crack and this effects amount of foam they can generate

Steve

4. saltwatereefguy

saltwatereefguy Plankton

Forgot to mention that as well that is very true