Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by brannock_16, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

Hello everyone,

Right now I am running a HOB protein skimmer from Eshopps that is under rated for my tank. I want to upgrade the skimmer to either a Octopus or Vertex that is rated at least up to 250 G (in case I upgrade down the road).

The only problem I have is that my stand has supporting beams that reduce my space under the tank to only 29 inches! There is no sump that I could use that would be beneficial in this size. I am planning on building a new stand and canopy with my Grandfather in the summer to increase this size...I want to put a 75-90 G tank as a sump/fuge.

My question is, could I use an overflow box and place a smaller tank that will fit in my stand (no longer than 29 inches) as a sump with one of these larger skimmers in it and still have it skim efficiently?

What other options do you guys have that I could use? I really need a bigger skimmer!

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Most skimmers have a recommended depth of water for use, so as long as your skimmer sits in the recommended depth of water in your sump it should be fine. I have an Octopus, and I believe the recommended depth is 8-10 inches.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

how about an hob skimmer? I have a Remora AquaC and I love it.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Yea you can use a small tank and it will still have the same skimming compacity... It is based on your flow through the area with the skimmer via the return pump

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

There are plenty of sumps that will fit. Here is the one I have; MegaFlow Sump Model 1 I have a Coralife 65 Super skimmer in it.