Will my fish be ok without a skimmer for a few weeks?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by crystal, Mar 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

im getting a new skimmer has my old one has broken
    will my fish be ok till in get a new one in a few weeks?
    i have a 40gallon fowlr with 2 very small clownfish and 2 small cleaner shrimp

2. Click Here!

3. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

If it's a few weeks, just make sure to keep up with water changes and maybe feed only every other day but your bio-load is very small with that stock. You should be fine though I had to turn my skimmer off for about a week waiting for a part and no ill effects.

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Some people run completely skimmerless... It is not a requirement, just highly recommended. Just make sure u keep up on maintanence and have a large enough biological filter while your not running it :)

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I don't have a skimmer on my highly stocked 37 gallon, and it's fine. Just keep up with water changes.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Yes, you will be fine. Skimmers really don't do anything except filter some stuff before the live rock can filter it. Without a skimmer, your live rock will easily pick up the bio-load and handle the filtration for you. Like others said, you may need to do some extra water changes. Just be sure to keep up with water parameters and swap out some water if your nitrates start to creep up to fast.

How much live rock do you have?

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

You'll be fine. My buddy finally got his skimmer back up & running on his 90gal corner with Coral growing like crazy when it was down. He hasn't used his skimmer in 5 months, so a few weeks you'll be fine. Between the live sand & live rock it's a natural filter.

Though I still highly recommend a skimmer, there are indeed some people that do not.

8. Click Here!

9. crystal

crystal Skunk Shrimp

thanks for all the reply they have been really helpful.i am going to get a skimmer next week so the tank wont be going that long without one.

10. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

her tank is somewhat new. so I would do what as advised above.. feedly 3 times a week and do your weekly 10%-15% water changes.