Will a stand weaken over time

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Greg9MM, Mar 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

I have my 150 high reef up and running for about 7 or 8 years. I just recently noticed what appears to be seperation in a couple areas on the stand. I cant say for sure if this was or wasnt like this when I first set the tank up. Could this happen from the tank settling over the years? I am starting to panic a little. Any input will be helpful.

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes it is a possibility. Try getting a come-a-long os something similar to wrap around the stand and pull it back together.

4. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Thats just a scary ass thought. Its a big tank so i might just pay someone to come in and check it out. thanks

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I'd get a reputable carpenter to make an judgment call.He may even be able to add structural support as it sits (or start quickly building a new stand if needed).I've had those cheap pressed wood stands get wobbly over the years,but I can definately understand the concerns of 150 gallons coming down.

6. Greg9MM

Greg9MM Skunk Shrimp

Its not a pressed wood stand, its actually all wood and a pretty solid stand. There is a LFS near me that actually has people that will come out to your house and do water changes or help you set up and even redo your system so i am going to email them and see what they say.

7. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I assumed it was a solid wood stand,i was just comparing it to a couple older,and much smaller,stands that i've owned.But i do like and agree with the lfs taking a look at it to see if there is any concern or not and what should/could be done about it.I could only wish for a lfs in my area to offer such services.