Will a skimmer not pull skimmate in a very clean tank

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Peredhil, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Sounds like you and puffer chick just don't have the bio load yet for the real good skim, my octopus was the same, but as I got more fish it skims much more now.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yeah... It did give good skimmate but then I lost a couple fish and then the skimmer broke. So it took a while to get it working again and I just didn't believe it was related (I do now). So partially a timing issue.

I'm looking at fairy wrasses but am concerned about my CC substrate and them... Not sure what I'm going to get yet...

4. TRIGER

TRIGER Plankton

I run a total of 250gal.of water between the display tank,125gal.with 1 clown,3 green chromis 2 damsels,1 yellow tang,1 niger trigger,and 1 large lion,also a 75gal.refudium with 4 clowns mated,2 sea horses,waiting to breed,another 40gal.refugium with 3 dominos,all run through the same bio filter, which I use many scrungy pads,i run a gfo reactor along with a carbon reactor,coral life 220 protein skimmer,havnt seen much skimmate?

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

6. Aqua Euro USA

Aqua Euro USA 3reef Sponsor

If your tank is clean or you have a small bio load, the skimmer wont produce nearly the same as if you have a lot of DOCs and a high bioload.

7. scaquariums

scaquariums 3reef Sponsor

Skimmer removes certain organic compounds, including proteins. Water-borne proteins are attracted by the air/water interface and these molecules as hydrophilic. If your tank is really clean, the skimmer will still produce bubbles but the bubbles will be harder to raise to the cup. If your tank have live stocks, you should still get the nasty stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. One Dumm Hikk

One Dumm Hikk Skunk Shrimp

Double punked.