Who has been messing with my tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Swede, Aug 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

Already thought of that.

Last time I moved the shells, I put them downstream of the hole.
    Frag is upstream, but most of the current is higher up in the water. Don't think there is enough flow hitting rock to move it.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Any chance that you've got a mantis shrimp in the tank?

4. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I'm betting on the clowns- I have one that rearranges the "furniture" all the time, rocks, corals, the other fish-;D

5. Nykademus

Nykademus Flamingo Tongue

I bet it was Sasquatch!

j/k. If you have moonlights on the system and a video camera, set that up overnight one night and fast forward through the boring parts. You never know what you might see! ;)

6. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

I guess anything is possible, but I think that that is rather unlikely (have never seen any at the lfs where I got all of my stuff).

Will have to try some night time surveilance - and I don't mean the sort where you hide in bushes;D

7. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

My Bet is on a pistol shrimp or Mantis. I have a mantis in my tank. been there 3 years, but I've only seen it once.

Just helped a friend move his 5G to a 110G and we found 6 mantis shrimp and he didn't know he had any.

They are tricky little guys

J

8. Click Here!

9. Nykademus

Nykademus Flamingo Tongue

I have one too, or a pistol. The tank has been up and running for about 4 years, and upgraded twice in that time.. all I have ever seen of it was a blur one morning as the lights came on. The snapping sound at night is unmistakable though. :)

10. Swede

Swede Flamingo Tongue

Finally saw the culprit;D

Looks like a bristle worm:angry: Didn't see how long it is, but body is roughly 3mm thick.

Any tips on how to catch/kill the little F*%! would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Odds are you have something in there you are unaware of. I had a 10 gal. up for 2 years and one night while on the computer I thought I saw something (out of the corner of my eye) moving about the tank when the lights went off. It was a beautiful Orange sponge crab! It was quite large, maybe the size of a silver dollar. Anyway, that's my contention.

12. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

I've never seen a worm move anythign, but could be. Could be your shrimp as well, those shrimp don't really like the light so they may be doin something to block out the light.