white worm looking things

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Infantry1327, May 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

so i noticed the other day that there was this big out break of these white worm looking things on one part of my live rock and underneath one of my flowerpots. They almost look like feather duster tubes, but there are no feather dusters, and in between them are all these white hairs. I dont know if they are good or bad, and have no idea where they came from. I had all this rock in my 40 breeder for like 7 months and no such worms, I moved everything to a 37 tall and now they are there. I didn't add any new corals since then, until yesterday I got a new little flower pot. I had a blue spot goby that had all these little worms living in his face, but i got rid of him shortly after they ate one of his eyes. What are they, should I be worried, and what kills them?

Lights off/ flash on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lights on/ flash off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just for fun, my new red flower pot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

On picture number 5 under the flowerpot, there's a leucilla or scypha sponge as well as a different species of sponge most likely. For your other pictures, that's either sponge or foraminiferens. Push on it. If it soft, it's sponge. If it's hard and calcareous, it's a foram.

Goniopora build skeletons that look like this. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_9jTkGowIILg/SCWea8GYaaI/AAAAAAAAD9w/i2AW9fyke_o/s400/P1150647.JPG Addtionally, each polyp is connected by a membrane. What you have are red zoanthids growing on a round rock.

4. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

How can I get rid Of them? And its defenetly a red flowerpot, when its closed up u can see the skeleton

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You could probably put the rock in the air for about 5 minutes and that would do it. If you can't get the rock out easily put an airstone under the affected rocks for a couple of days. Most species of sponge can't handle air.

6. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I'm not so worried about the sponges, I'm more worried about the worms. Is there anything that will eat them up