Which sps to get???

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Piano10, Dec 29, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Digi are good. Or any monti. But it will probably die so get a couple. In my tank some corals do great. Some awful.

cody3819 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Go with a purple Stylo - good hearty easy to care for and looks nice

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I have been told the same, birdsnest is easy to keep yet I have read the opposite.lol.

I personally love stylophora and it would be my first choice!

I truly believe each coral does differently in different tanks.

I had a brain in my 15g tank that was pretty much down to the skeleton, I put it in my 10g just to see if I would luck out...yup its back to the original condition and looking beautiful.
    Both tanks parameters are almost identical with the same maintenance, except for lighting.

Now when we speak of parameter stability, how stable are we talking(it can mean different things from one to another)
    I top up my tank every day, sg is 1.025, temp is 79-80, weekly water changes with io reef crystals
    The only thing I noticed was that my mag is a little low and so is my alk.

We don't plan on getting the sps for a while, any suggestions on what I could do to get my mag/alk/ca more stable? My ca stays within normal ranges but my alk and mag is a bit low.

Thank you so much for all the help!

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I'd look into dosing all three. The more corals grow the more uptake of the elements you'll have and in smaller tanks it's easy for params to get out of whack

Lovemyreef2015, Piano10 and cody3819 like this.
  6. Piano10

Piano10 Aiptasia Anemone

I believe dosing is the key with corals yet when you do research everything says water changes are enough for small tanks.

I disagree with that theory. Water changes help replenish elements but with corals, inverts, and various coraline algaes which use all those elements, its very easy to see your numbers drop.
    Before using reef crystals I saw my numbers drop considerably once things started to flourish in my tank. Clearly my livestock is using up more than whats being put in, so I believe dosing is now needed.

Any recommendations on good products and the best way to dose?

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I've always like aquavitro, very good product. I'm using ME coral now since I can make a gallon of all 3 which saves me money since I dose a lot. Aquavitro Ions, Calcification and Eight four are the ones you want.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.