Which Leopard Wrasse?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by JustIncredible, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustIncredible

JustIncredible Astrea Snail

I am looking to add a Leopard Wrasse to my 40g breeder but I am undecided as to which one? I am waffling between a female Blue Star (Divided or African...whichever name you wish to use) or a Potters but am open to any suggestions. I am looking for a nice reef-safe wrasse that will feed on pest crustaceans (otherwise I would be looking at some Fairy Wrasses too) that isn't the normal run of the mill 6 line etc. I would really like the opinion of people who own a Leopard Wrasse (especially of the two species I listed) but anyone's who is well versed in these fish would be appreciated!!!

2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Evolved has alot of good info on them. I have an Onrate Leopard Wrasse. He is not the prettiest (compared to the two you are looking at) but an active fish, eats well but still has a great personality.

4. JustIncredible

Thanks, I PM'd Evolved and am awaiting his reply but in the mean time if anyone else would like to chime in please feel free.

5. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

In my opinion a 40 Breeder is too small for a Leopard Wrasse to thrive in.

6. JustIncredible

Correct me if I am mistaken but aren't most Leopard Wrasses in the 4-5 inch range as far as size? I am thinking if that's the case a 40 breeder may be pushing it but would suffice.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

You would be correct on the general requirements for a Leopard Wrasse. The problem with them, however, is that they are very sensitive to shipping, and to relocation. It's common for them to die during their first week from even the slightest stress. They are very hardy once they are established, but a 40 gallon tank it becomes even more questionable.

8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Not to burst your bubble but there is no way a Leopard of any type can live long term a tank that small. These fish are extremely susceptible to shipping as stated above, specifically Potter's wrasses. You also need to be careful of sex as the male of most of these species has a much higher mortality rate in home aquaria.

Blue star leopards are generally considered the easiest of the Leopard family, however all leopards are prone to not eat, stress easily, and are extremely active grazers of pods. They metabolize extremely fast, requiring nearly constant feeding, hence the grazing all day.

The trouble with your tank size is the ability for pods to populate in adequate numbers for a potential Leopard wrasse to survive would require water so green it would be unpleasing to even look at. Even on prepared foods, the amount needed to keep a leopard wrasse long term would require you to significantly sacrifice overall water quality, due to the increase in feedings. Remember 40 gallons fouls a lot faster than something of larger volume.

Many people get the wrong idea from places like LA who's specific tank requirements for size are geared towards the full adult size of the fish and not its actual requirements for long term feeding, water quality, and stressors.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. JustIncredible

Sounds like I will look at other types of wrasses than. I don't want to cause undue stress to any livestock, that just wouldn't be fair and I certainly don't want to compromise my water quality as I have some very nice corals who would be very unhappy with me if I did that. I would like to get a wrasse that forages for pest crustaceans as well as eats flake/mysis etc. food but I'm not interested in your typical 6 Line and can't afford a Mystery (heard they are nasty buggers anyway) so what would you suggest?

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

fairy or flasher wrasse. Possum wrasse are nice to.

12. JustIncredible

I've heard the Fairy's and Flasher's don't really forage for pest crustaceans like pyramidal or sundial snails or flatworms...this is the only reason I haven't considered them.