Where are you guys getting your LR?

Discussion in 'RARS' started by Reef_Ninja, May 31, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

As the title says, where is everyone getting their LR from? I go back and forth about using dry vs. LR, but ultimately the abscence of life in dry rock makes it less appealing.

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I got mine from Liverockranch. I took a gamble as they did not have the best reviews, but I was very pleased with my order. It was by far the least expensive option, around $4/lb shipped when I got it. The rock is "mari-cultured", where it is mined and then placed in the ocean (Florida), left for X amount of time, and then retrieved to sell. I had all kinds of life with mine (snails, macro algae, pods, feather dusters, and a mantis shrimp, who is now sumped, etc.) and the die-off from shipping it cycled my tanks.

I did about a 2:1 ratio of dry rock to LR. For dry rock, I bought from Reefrocks.net. Very very pleased with them; excellent service, the rock looks awesome, and they sell awesome sand dirt cheap (pun intended).

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You know you don't NEED any LR?

Even with hardly any food source added, the bacteria will start to colonize, it will cycle, etc. I would imagine that adding LR will speed things up some.

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Most rock unless its been in a dt IME is my very appealing. Unless you get it from a local reefer who had it and has nice coralline then it will not look as great. If you add dry rock it will eventually become live and will start to look more appealing with time.
    Just my experience and opinion.

6. Reef_Ninja

Reef_Ninja Spaghetti Worm

I see your point, and if I was starting with a larger tank, I would go with dry rock and seed it with Live rock. But Im only starting with a biocube, and it doesnt seem to make much sense (as far as shipping and handling goes) to buy both when I only need 15 lbs. Its either one or the other for now, and I dont want to go with just dry rock.

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Sea Life Inc. has some LR i might get a piece or two, and gulfrock is really great a local got some lps/sps growing on hers

8. Click Here!

9. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

My wife and I made all our rock for our 75. Looks great and the coraline is starting to cover it all. I took some coraline out of my moms 30 gal FOWLR that I put up for her, which used dry rock with a few LR. Now her tank is all purple everywhere! Take a look on youtube, under username 10galreef or 75galreef.

10. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

The main thing, you have little to no impact on the reefs with making your own rock!

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

12. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I'd love to upload on this site and I've only been able to do it once before. But every time since, my computer just doesn't seem to do it. But I do have videos on youtube, 10galreef. You'll have to look through my vids til you get to the one called Earth Day DIY rock...I believe that's what it's called. It's a few years old. And then my new vids show the rock in the tank.