What's Important for a Successful Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by rocketmandb, Apr 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blue dice

blue dice Plankton

This addiction is worse than chess, so many ways to start , so many pathways to success.

2. Click Here!

3. Raudrive

Raudrive Astrea Snail

Thanks for the time and effort to write all this information down. It will help many including me.

Rick

4. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I wouldn't even qualify myself as new yet, more in the really super curious category at the moment. One thing I have learned over the past month or so of doing some relatively intense reading and research is this:

The hobby is about creating the environment. The successful growth of corals and fish are a visually stunning by-product. Very similar to an axiom in gardening - feed the soil and the plant will take care of itself. Repurposed to reef-keeping; maintain the environment and the fish/corals will, in large part, take care of themselves. That's my approach anyway....

Thanks again for the knowledge.

--EW

5. fishingaround

fishingaround Plankton

wow, great post, thanks for sharing

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Great thread. Very well laid out and with some stats to back it up!!

7. blunce

blunce Plankton

I'm about as NOOB as one can be, the only steps I've taken was to buy a tank and read a few books ---- wait for it ---- 10 years ago. So this is an amazing asset and wealth of information to have on hand! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

8. Click Here!

9. tropicalspeed

tropicalspeed Plankton

How much sand for the bed?

Is there any particular type or mfg. of sand that you would recommend? And, how much sand should I use for the bed?
    Great post and Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

Very appreciated brother ! informative

E

11. Lungz

Lungz Astrea Snail

OMG. I want a reef tank so bad but I am very nervous and cautious about it, but this thread is actually making it look alot less complicated than I thought it was going to be. granted it still is alot to learn but I'm feeling a little more confident.

12. SaltLife84

SaltLife84 Plankton

Awesome!

Excellent post, thank you for taking the time to write up such an informative post! Just wanted to know if you could enlarge that graph of all the important items for having a successful tank? Thnx again!