what else can go wrong....please help

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by iceman, Nov 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

The canopy has an open back and the room is a rather cool temp all year. I and I was going to run fans on them for air exchange. Would that be alright.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I ad the same setup on my 55. My light fixture sat right on the tank itself. The canopy needed some mods to fit the fixture inside

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

What about running a 2x4 along the top of your current canopy or reinforcing what you have some other way? Seems like the cheapest and most practical option.

5. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

I absolutely had a lack of mental capability and well it won't fit at all. A 4 ft tank will fit a 4 ft canopy but a 4 ft light won't fit in it. For a start should I go MH or led.

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

Before anyone else can tell you one way is better than the other, between those two, it is a matter of preference.

When you are looking though, just know that not all LED units are created equal by a large margin. There are differences with MH as well with ballast, bulbs and reflectors.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I vote metal halide, 20k radium=pure eye candy

8. Click Here!

9. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

Ok... I need this part as clear as possible I know close to nothing about MH and if I go led I was thinking about the kits sold by rapidled.com. good reviews from what I can see.

10. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I cannot comment on Rapidled.com from experience, but i have heard good things about them. That said, There are some options out there. I am currently looking into building my own LED fixture and have been reading as much info as I can on building your own fixture, and have been reading up on a bunch of them. My advice would be to not cut corners for cost when buying your drivers and diodes.

11. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

This is where my in experience kills me. I know nothing about lights except for how to fix them.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Is this thread really on page 2 and there are not any pics of this canopy? :)

Billme likes this.