what do lawnmower blennies eat?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by mrsavage84, Apr 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

im having some trouble getting my little guy to eat my frozen shrimp and bloodworms. he doesn't eat when i feed the other fish but i see him chomping at the live rock. what is he doing and what should i try feeding this guy?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Lawnmower Blennies are herbivores. They eat very little, if any, meaty foods. You need to have enough algae growth for them to graze on; if not, then you'll have to try placing Nori or other dried algaes on a clip on the sand or rocks.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Great advice! Their not called Lawnmower Blennys for nothing :)

5. JustIncredible

JustIncredible Astrea Snail

Lawns! Just kidding...seriously they are basically the saltwater version of a pleco (freshwater janitor fish) just much cooler and with better personality, they eat algae (mostly green).

6. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

my tank is pretty new and not sure if it will actuallysupply him with enough to eat. Ill go get some algae paper for the little dude and see how he likes that

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Rubber band a piece of Nori to a piece of rubble. Hopefully once the Nori gets re-hydrated and slimy he will pick at it.

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Reviving this thread. I had a LB starve in my last tank. I did not have any new spectrum pellets or other herbivores type foods. I would like to try another but I may take my food to the fish store and see if he eats it. I have some frozen butterfly food labeled for ominvores that I would like to know if anyone has got Lawnmowers to eat. It looks like pieces of plant food and says some spinach in ingredients.... SanFrancisco brand.
    One thing that has me wondering if a lawnmower will eat the pellets is I have a Naso tang that doesn't seem interested in the meaty foods but loves the pellets.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I think it comes down to the individual fish. I could not get mine to eat anything prepared, frozen, flake, algae sheets, or pellets. Definitely make sure it eats in the store first.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Just came back from the store and tried two LMBs. Neither would eat pellets or frozen omnivore food. They had a couple of angels in the same tank and could have been too scared or uncomfortable. They make a frozen algae food I may try with a different fish another day.

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

av8 have you ever considered making your own fish food? works wonders for me