What can I feed my goldfish?

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by GoldfishFanatic, Sep 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoldfishFanatic

GoldfishFanatic Plankton

I found out that fish flakes alone are not good for goldfish, however I don't know what else to feed him.

I have already given him some cooked broccoli, but he didn't seem to like it that much. What else can I use?

I have also heard you can give them orange slices and grapes. Is this true?

Also, will certain foods cloud my tank's water? I have a filter, but I don't know what will happen.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Don't know who told you that but it is simply untrue.Any Goldfish flake or pellet food is fine for a balanced diet.;)Goldfish are omnivores but I would not feed them any kind of fruit.This will be bad for water quality.

4. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

You can also feed them Zucchini, romaine lettuce, and for indigestion give them peas;) flakes are a great way to feed your goldfish but they do like variety, would you only want I eat flakes all day everyday? Neither do they ;)

5. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

I'm not sure who told you this but its simply untrue, most freshwater fish eat a wide variety of foods and a good mix is always better for them.
    http://goldfish2care4.com/goldfish-flakes.html
    Here's a great article on it ;)

6. Vinnyboombatz

These posts are from 2011. No one told me this; I have been keeping/breeding Goldfish for about ten years on Hikari pellets and Tetramin Flakes.;) I agree variety is good but a high quality pellet and/or flake food is more then adequate to keep Goldfish healthy.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    sticksmith23 likes this.
  7. Arosereed

Arosereed Astrea Snail

I'm am terrible at checking post dates ;( I'm sorry. As for the flake debate, I think it's more the aquarists preference, I just wanted to put the other side out there ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Oh not a problem just making you aware. It is always good to post pertinent info on threads even if they are old to help people who read them for research.I always advocate for variety I was not trying to say you are wrong about feeding fish a variety just that it really is not necessary to keep them healthy IME.:)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012