Wellsophyllia

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by mikejrice, Nov 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Wellsophyllia

Common names: lobed brain coral, open brain coral

Difficulty Level: Wellso brains are generally very tolerant of most conditions, but stable alkalinity is important.

Feeding: Wellsophyllia have a very strong prey capture ability. They may be fed any meaty foods including pellets.

Lighting (Level 4 to 7): These corals prefer moderate lighting, but may be adapted to higher. Be sure to acclimate them when moving to higher light.

Water flow: Moderate to stronger water flow is ideal.

Placement: Wellso brains must be placed on the sand. They are aggressive corals with long sweeper tentacles, so be sure to leave ample space around them.

General: Stable alkalinity is a must with these corals and calcium above 400 is best to promote growth.

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Trachyphyllia radiata :p

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

very nice! Thank you
    cool coral

5. benjaminS

benjaminS Astrea Snail

Awesome I even see hints of yellow on them thats like pretty rare man.

6. chealy

chealy Spaghetti Worm

Wow, so pretty!

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Lighting question. Have people had better success with them under low-moderate, moderate, or moderate-high lighting? I am likely going to pick one up at my LFS today and can either put it in my JBJ 28 which now has a RapidLED retrofit (20 - 3W LEDs so I would say moderate-high on the sandbed), or in my 55, which again has 20 - 3W LEDs (but obviously over a much larger area, so lighting is less intense maybe low-moderate on the sandbed).

TIA!

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Moderate. A lot of LPS, such as these, do not really produce pigment like many SPS. perhapse some GFP in response to blue light, but for the most part, they tend to just get lighter or darker. Also, they will expand a bit to capture more light if needed, which which makes it look sort of like a fluorescent green bowl of jello, which to me always looks better than being all shriveled up. I guess an argument could be made that if doing so, they could take more light, but I've kept them both ways and haven't seen a difference. They actually do seem to be a bit more resilient with more moderate then bright lot, at least in my experience.

1 person likes this.
  10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Awesome, thanks for the help. Makes complete sense too. Doing some reading online and it seems the common problem is too much light. I think I will try it in my 55 under the low-moderate and see how it does. I can always move it to the cube if it is not getting enough light.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Here it is, about an hour into being in the tank (excuse the not so great cell pic):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Looks like it will have awesome color once its acclimated to life in your tank.