Watts on, Watts off

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by JohnO, Jan 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

That was supposed to be a little joke. I do like nutterbutters though.

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Mine too ;) No worries :D I like nutter butters really fresh or really stale. I prefer stale!

4. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=Midnight Madman link=board=lighting;num=1107241757;start=15#28 date=02/03/05 at 04:52:15]I have seen the sun in winter...[/quote]

I though that we earth dwellers are bit farther from the sun in the winter<<<jk.....

5. OoNickoC

[quote author=Gresham link=board=lighting;num=1107241757;start=15#25 date=02/02/05 at 16:34:23]www.Apogee.com

It's the Quantum meter (with waterproof probe).   Apogee has a hard time manufacturing these in the winter though, they calibrate them to sunlight (which may not be out in the winter).[/quote]

Thanks....im on the hunt.

6. OoNickoC

apogee.com took me to a software site...no mention on anythin meterish...?

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

10. OoNickoC

which meter do you have Gresh? The inacuracy seems a bit much going by the chart relative to the ideal "reading"....or is it not enough to matter for measurement of par for plants/inverts? Im probably going to buy one if its the quantom model.

11. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

I would venture to guess that the 150W was in a good pendant (Reef Optix or similar) and the 400W was in a plain-jain mogul base with maybe a flat reflector? Reflector efficiency is VERY important. Could you specify what was used?

It's also my opinion that, for reasons I dont pretend to understand, 400W bulbs are a bit less efficient than their smaller cousins. I hear lots of reports that they produce way more heat than a similar 250W, with only a modest increase in light output. That makes me believe that 400W waste power getting hot instead of getting bright...

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Nope, you ventured into a different area :D Watch out for those monkeys, you won't want to get hit with what their throwing ;)

The 150w MH is a Iwaski PAR 36 medium base lamp, it has an internal reflector ;) FWIW, they have some of the highest CRI in the industry.

The 400w is in a pretty nice PFO hood, w/o hammer tone. Definitly not a flat reflector. The bulb brand escapes me right now.

The question you should have asked, is, what kelvin is each lamp, and what brand :D . A 20k puts out less par, then a 6.5k. Even at the larger size, I get more par outa the 150, then the 400w.

Your last statement is partially true, depending on on what ballast and bulb are used + function needed to achieve. With decreased effiency, 1000w and 400w still have advantages over 70w,150w,175w and 250w. You won't see many larger tanks with loads of 150wers on them, but youll see plenty of em with several 250w, 400w and 1000w.