wanna start dosing Kalk in ato but question

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by crustytheclown, Mar 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

when you make the kalk mixture and let it sit; there will be a solution above the sediment and thats what you want to use in the ato reservoir right? Or do you just mix the kalk up in the ato reservoir and keep adding fresh ro water as needed? Im confused... I am using a aqualifter on a timer for my ato right now and want to know if i should just add the kalk to the reservoir or if i need to mix it in a different container, let it sit and than only add the clear solution to the ato reservoir.
    also i read here that you can keep using the sediment over and over by just adding new ro water to the reservoir and the sediment will keep dissolving into the water for a while before it needs to be completely replaced? Here is a link to this
    Kalkwasser? How to add? - The Reef Tank
    Can anyone clear up my confusion?

2. Click Here!

3. daido

daido Plankton

You got it right. The sediment is made out of very little undissolved kalk and other impurities. The ph will go way up the minute you add the sediment because it's very concentrated. I don't recommand you to add more fresh water and hope that the sediment will dissolve beacuse you will probably get a much less concentrated solution.

4. crustytheclown

ok. so dont add the dry kalk directly to my ato reservoir? mix it up in something else and than add that to the reservoir. So do u just through the sediment out each time you make another batch? cause the link to another thread i posted explains that you can continue to use the sediment over and over by just adding more ro water to it. Is this true?

5. crustytheclown

here is a pic of my ato setup.
    [​IMG]
    so do i add the dry kalk directly to the 2 liter or do i mix it up in something else and than add the clear solution to the 2 liter?

6. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I would reccomend buying a kalk stirrer and saving yourself a lot of hassle.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not an expert at all, but I would imagine that it would be difficult if you keep using the sediment to know how much you're mixing each time. You need to measure a certain amount per gallon and then part of that becomes solution and the other part sediment so if the sediment amount changes, I would think it would be hard to know if you have enough kalk to make an adequate solution. That's my .02 on the kalk but I have no idea what to recommend in terms of adding it via an ATO.....