Vortechs and a 95 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zeyphon, Nov 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 95 gallon wave tank, so one side is narrower than the other at around 16"-17", the other at around 22" or so with a bulge in the middle(width of around 24" or so).

I'm overhauling/upgrading it, adding 4 Maxspect Mazarra modules, a Tunze Auto top-off and some new water movers. The tank is mixed reef, I'd like an emphasis on SPS up to 16" down, with LPS and some choice softies dominating the area below that.

I was thinking of putting 1 MP10 on the narrower end of the tank, and 1 MP20 on the wider end. Would this work for my purposes, my plan is to use a wave cycle on the MP10 to create a gentle wave and use the MP20 for more turbulent flow/detritus suspension.

Thoughts, opinions, comments?

2. Click Here!

3. Zeyphon

Zeyphon Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

None? I usually don't bump but when I do it's after 50 views...

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I don't think that would be enough for SPS. Or are you going to have other pumps as well. You could probably get away with an MP40 and and MP10. Two MP40s would be better. It sort of depends how dense the SPS are, they really block flow a lot as they grow. To start you could probably get away with one, but if your tank does well, you'll definitely need more flow, even with the LPS lower down.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

They don't still make the MP20?...Unless you already have one?

Anyway, the tank sounds interesting. Can we get a picture up? ::)

I would go for 2 mp40s, or the mp20 you have and the mp40 on the wider end. The smaller ones don't have so much strength after about 3 feet.