Violet Goby

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by logan09, Aug 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. logan09

logan09 Plankton

HI
    I bought a violet goby recently and I looked at it today and its not purple! It almost looks albino. Is this not good, Its in freshwater is this a problem? Also I have aquarium salt is it fine to put that in? I know I should use marine salt but I cant get it anywhere.

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

is that like a brackish water fish? or get it in the saltwater selection? what is your tank right now, salinity wise.

4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Dude, did you put a saltwater fish in a freshwater tank? It needs to go into a saltwater tank pronto. Marine salt and freshwater conditioning salt are two completely different things!

5. {Nano}Reefer

oh crap you meant a "neon goby" ya that guy probably might be toast.

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I might be mistaken, but he might be trying to make a fool out of us.... If it seems to be too ridiculous, it probably is....

7. {Nano}Reefer

omg you have no idea baug, my uncle kept comming to me for answers on why his fish would not stay alive, all of his params kept comming up fine{i wasnt testing them) untill i finally went over there to see what his results where for myself..... low and behold his SG was at 0.......... "Oh, you have to add salt to the actual tankwater?" i was like, omg, he must have killed at least 15 - 20 fish in the span of 6 or so months.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Holy smokes.....I guess anything is possible......

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

a violet goby is also known as a dragon goby its brackish water to fresh water i would add some aquarium salt in their for it

11. {Nano}Reefer

ya it really sucks that he killed all of those poor fish, but at least they were damsels...

12. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

at one of the LFS that I go to, I was talking with the guys that work there. They sell both freshwater and saltwater fish and the saltwater is towards the front of the store. Unfortunately they say they often times will have people come back up with a dead fish saying that they just can not figure out what happened....but come to find out they had a freshwater tank and they purchased a saltwater fish and placed it into the tank and well, of course we know what happened......They say they try to ensure that people who they dont know in fact have a SW tank when they sell them a SW fish, but of course things happen, esp when a new employee starts.

But I can see how something like this happens with a freshwater fish. Someone buying a brakish (SP) water fish and not knowing about the type of fish and the requirements of that particular fish. Because I know from looking at FW fish, there are just soooo many different types of fish out there and I remember as a kid just buying what I thought looked cool. Of course now I know better, but there is still that mentality out there, and sales people who will just sell whomever whatever without spending the time. Plus a lot of people will think...awe it is just $5.00 so I will try it...if it does not work, oh well. A lot of FW fish are inexpensive when compared to SW (not all) That is one thing about SW..most fish are like $20 upwards so when we buy a fish we have a lot more to loose (This is not even mentioning the fact that we view it as a living thing, as well as FW owners...so please do not come back on this point, just making point strictly on price;D)

And none of these points are directed towards this poster. They were concerned enough to come to this forum to search out answers. Like I said, I can see how something like this can happen, and I for one have bought a fish that I was unprepared for, just like so many others on here!