VHO information?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by little soprano, Jan 2, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. little soprano

little soprano Astrea Snail

I bought a used tank, and it came with a canopy with two 5' VHOs in it, powered by a Coral vue 660 ballast. From what I understand its the equivalent of an Ice Cap 660 (or is one.), and was wondering has anybody tried running both T5s and VHOs off of one of these?

Are two 140 Watt VHOs capable of growing some beginner level corals? LPS? I am thinking of going with a UVL Super Actinic and a UVL Actinic White.

Does anyone have any information on VHOs? Everything seems to be mostly T5s. I run T5HOs on my freshwater tanks, but don't know much about VHOs at all.

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I am not an expert by any means since i have always run t5 or LED. From my understanding, you may be able to grow some softies but LPS may be a stretch depending on where you locate them in your tank. t5 s are fairly inexpensive and many come up on Craigslist since so many are switching to LED. You may be better off just finding a used t5 set and going with it. You will always be able to get bulbs for it, you have a familiarity since you have used them on fresh and you will be confidant that you can get what you want for your tank as it matures. Give us details on the tank and set up you have and what your plans are! Pic s are even better! Welcome!! I m sure you will find that this is a great forum with even better people. If you go to the new member section there are several threads which I found to be very helpful when i was new to salt. I still reference some of them today. Don't hesitate to ask anything, it will save you time, money and frustration!!

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I am not an expert by any means since i have always run t5 or LED. From my understanding, you may be able to grow some softies but LPS may be a stretch depending on where you locate them in your tank. t5 s are fairly inexpensive and many come up on Craigslist since so many are switching to LED. You may be better off just finding a used t5 set and going with it. You will always be able to get bulbs for it, you have a familiarity since you have used them on fresh and you will be confidant that you can get what you want for your tank as it matures. Give us details on the tank and set up you have and what your plans are! Pic s are even better! Welcome!! I m sure you will find that this is a great forum with even better people. If you go to the new member section there are several threads which I found to be very helpful when i was new to salt. I still reference some of them today. Don't hesitate to ask anything, it will save you time, money and frustration!!

5. little soprano

Currently my plans are to go with a UVL 454 vs the Super Actinic, as I heard they are some of the best actinics out there and are the equivalent of two T5 Super actinics, but no idea past that. Here's pictures of the lighting setup and the tank. The wiring has been cleaned up, and I plan on putting in reflectors. Tank looks pretty bad ATM (rock is no where near where it will be).

Tank:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reading more I could go with 3 140 Watt VHOs, so maybe even 1 454, and two White Actinics, or 2 454s and one White Actinic. Currently just has two 6500K bulbs in it.

The tank is 5' wide, by 20" deep, and 24" tall. There's probably around 4-5" of that 20, taken up by the Wet-Dry in the back.

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

7. little soprano

Hmm, maybe I stick with them? Be a money saver.