Vacation Woes...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by CupidofCrime, Jun 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

So i am going on an adventure vacation/job for 2-3 months. I have a 29 biocube with bak-pak cpr2 skimmer. The lighting is on an automatic timer.
    Currently the tank is stocked with:
    Black Onyx True Percula
    Greenbanded Goby
    Yellow Watchman Goby
    Tiger Pistol Shrimp

Haitian Condyactalis
    Variety of Zoas
    Variety of Mushrooms
    Encrusting Orange Monti
    Kenya Leather
    Pulsing Xenia
    Hydnophora (Encrusting Horn Coral)
    Hammer Coral
    Blue Clove Polyps

So here's the dilemma. I leave in 10 days and have no ATO and no one to take care of the tank. I will be taking the Nem to a LFS , as i can't run the risk of it nuking the tank. I am looking to make an ATO that will keep the tank sustained for about 2-3 months. My salinity runs at 1.024. Evaporation is around 3/4 gallon a week.
    Besides the ATO i will be building, i was also thinking of an automatic fish feeder. Any ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks guys.. im totally at a lost here.

2. Click Here!

3. jesmontb

jesmontb Flamingo Tongue

pay anyone to come learn and take care of the tank...without someone there for 3 months...almost a guarantee you will come home to a demolished tank

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

2-3 months solely on a ATO and auto fish feeder, OUCH, I hope someone has a good idea, but that sounds hard to pull off. I'd say, go talk to your LFS and see if they have someone that will fish sit for ya. I know my LFS will. They'll come as much as needed and its rather affordable. Prob not much more than the equipment you're getting ready to buy;)

5. warlord

warlord Bristle Worm

Yea what cosmo said some1 from your lfs will probably do it for a reasonable price

6. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Yea i had thought of a LFS owner who would most likely help. Only problem is the tank is in my photography studio, which has quite a bit of expensive equipment in it and i'm a paranoid person ;)
    I know 2-3 months without someone is a stretch.
    I will have someone who checks in on the studio whom i trust, but alas they seem unwilling (or too overwhelmed) to learn.
    I have thought about asking my LFS to "babysit" the corals...take them there to do put in their display tank. That would just leave the livestock.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Id leave the corals before the fish, most your corals are rather hardy, IMOE, and a dead coral does a lot less damage than a dead fish may, debatable I know,

Can you not store your pricey equipment at home?

8. Click Here!

9. CupidofCrime

CupidofCrime Fire Worm

Hmm cosmo, you bring up a good point. I did not think of it that way. Granted corals are more expensive then fish though.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

or better yet, take everything back to the LFS, and leave the tank running very minimal, so when ya get back its a mini cycle boost and ya can add most things back quick. A lot of options!

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

the person that doesn't want to learn, why don't you ask them to meet someone at your shop to care for the tank. than they can watch over and lock up when the other person leaves

12. APC

APC Gigas Clam

IMO...you need to have it checked and maintained frequently..or you need to take it down and restart when you get back. Remember these are living organisms, not decorations...and you are responsible for their well being.

1 person likes this.