Using vinegar to help salt mix

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Tommy, May 19, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tommy

Tommy Plankton

I was wondering if anyone uses a small amounts of vinegar to help their salt mix dissolve better before pouring the salt into the RO water? if it has any bad effects at low concentrations? ie. 1 cup vinegar to mix up 10 gallons of saltwater. I tried it once and the water mixed up much clearer but i was afraid of what it might do to my tank so i figured i would ask here first.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Vinegar is going to drop your pH no?

Link below address vinegar dosing, I am sure the basic chemistry is relevant.

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

For the money I spend live stock I can wait for my salt to completely mix. IO and RC mix clear for me within about 1 hour with some flow added.

What made you decide to try it? Is there a link you can provide? I am interested the pros and cons.

Seems like a awful lot of carbon to me.

Mr. Bill, Billme and DSC reef like this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If your only adding vinegar to make the water clearer then try a different salt mix. I can't imagine anything good coming from this. People vinegar dose in small controlled doses to provide carbon but that much vinegar to clear water I think would have negative results in all aspects. The water will clear overnight in your tank so I really can't see a benefit to this. I wouldn't risk a low pH or an overdose of carbon because that will cause a way bigger issue than a few hours of slightly cloudy water.

Mr. Bill and Billme like this.
  5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Agree with the above replies. I use IO and it's crystal clear within just a few minutes. As stated, vinegar is used for carbon dosing, a method of controlling Nitrates and Phosphates; the doses, however, are quite small, and it can easily be overdone.

DSC reef and Billme like this.
  6. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

Is this thread a joke?

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

It's a legit question. Better to ask then be in the dark.

8. Click Here!

9. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

That little bit of vinegar (what you are claiming) will not hurt anything. It's not even going to lower PH much either. It will actually benefit the system like carbon dosing, boosting bacterial levels when you change water. Now carbon dosing can open up a host of other problems that you may not be prepared nor have the experience on how to deal with. If allowed to sit in the mixing vessel, a salt mix like D-D or Red Sea, it could feed a bacterial bloom. Those salt mixes can have some organics since they are derived from NSW.

Corailline likes this.
  10. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

FYI, one cup of vinegar is equivalent to dosing 15 ml of vodka. If it's not giving you a bacterial bloom when you are changing water then you should be perfectly fine.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    Billme and Corailline like this.