Uploading photos/videos made easy

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by reefmonkey, Nov 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

So many times I see new comers asking how to upload pics to the site. I remember when I first starting frequenting these forums I had difficulty getting it down as well. It can be pretty frustrating when you are informed that you're photo is to large to be uploaded or if you do resize only to find that it's now way to small.
    The method I prefer to use is copy and paste links from an image hosting site. I like this way better because it's simple and when your link is pasted you see a photograph, not an annoying thumbnail that requires the reader to click on it to see the big image. I use Photobucket and will explain how to copy/paste from that particular site. I'm pretty sure they are all similar and this method would more than likely work from any image hosting site.
    Step 1
    Create an account and upload your photo's.
    [​IMG]
    Step 2
    After your pics have been uploaded to the host site, open the folder that contains the photo you want to copy and past to your post.
    [​IMG]
    Step 3
    Choose the photo you are going to show and click the share tab found at the top of the images box. A pop up box will open. Click the "get link code" tab.
    [​IMG]
    The pop up will change to a list of format options. Choose the option that reads IMG for bulletin boards and forums. Highlight and copy the link for full size.[​IMG]
    Paste the link into your post and you are done. Now you have a fully viewable image in your post and no one has to hassle with clicking a thumbnail. :)

Embedding video from youtube is actually a little more simple. Once you have an account you will be able to upload your video to the hosting site.
    Once your videos have been uploaded and processed you will be able to find them in the "my video" link that is in the drop down menu by your youtube user name.
    [​IMG]
    Choose the video you want to embed and click it's link to open it.
    [​IMG]
    Once the video link is opened you will see the videos url in your browser. Highlight and copy the part of the url shown in my screenshot. Do not copy the entire url. It is always the text right after the part of the url that reads v=. Sometimes there is more text than you need. You'll just want the section that defines your video. Use my screen shot for reference.
    [​IMG]
    Now paste your copy into your forum post and highlight it again.
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure you've noticed the little youtube tab at the top of your forum text box. Now's the time to click it. Your vid link copy should now look like this.
    [​IMG]
    Preview your post before submitting to ensure your video is correctly embedded. It should show up like this.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Great job. Should help to clear up some confusion for the newcomers. You should add a "How To Add Youtube videos" to this.

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Great write up. Should be helpful to newbies!

1 person likes this.
  5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Hooked on Phonics, Photo Edition. Cool.

1 person likes this.
  6. Aaron.Herk

Aaron.Herk Sea Dragon

I actually am pretty new and this is very helpful. I hated posting my photos as thumbnails.
    "How To Add Youtube videos" would also be very helpful. Thanks fo thinking of the little guy.

1 person likes this.
  7. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thank you and that was a good idea. Done :)

8. Click Here!

9. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Nice, that came out good also.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Excellent Sir :thumb_up:

1 person likes this.
  11. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thank you all!

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Good job, RM! +k for taking the time to help the community.

- Mag.

1 person likes this.